what is the best way to sell some used books and get a decent price for them?

sooo here's the deal. we have to move, and i have a ton of books that i know i won't be able to take with me/prolly won't get the chance to read again. bunch of Anne Rice, some hardcovers, decent condition, Nancy Drews, Dear America/My Name is America, random other paperbacks from when i was younger, lol...but i'd like to get at least $5-$8 apiece for the hardcovers, and then like 50-cents to a few dollars for the rest. but i've never really sold anything before, so i'm not sure of the best medium, and i really need them all gone before we move, with cash in hand, cause every little bit will definitely help right now. so should i just post them all on craigslist or in the local paper, or try to sell them to a used book store? or something else?

katvixenstar

Asked by katvixenstar at 4:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Used books don't have a lot of value, unless they're currently-in-use college texts and then only valuable if posted and sold on campus. Books are abundant at garage sales, thrift stores, and many bookstores take them in trade.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You can donate the books to your local library and then deduct it from your taxes. This is a pretty good deduction because the value deducted is more towards what they originally cost. I do know that there is a limit for this deduction so you will want to check into that.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If I had the extra money I'd ask about what kind of vampire series books you have lol. Other than that you could try ebay!
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree with a previous poster. Used books are not valuable at all... Asking $5-$8 per book (even if hardback) is still expensive in my opinion for a used books. You can try posting them on Craigslist, but I wouldn't expect a lot for them. I would expect about 25-50 cents for the paperback books and $1-$3 for the hard back books.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I actually wrote a post about someone that claims to make good money selling used books on Amazon.  You can read about it here:

Sell Used Books on Amazon

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Amazon and Craigslist....both seem to be pretty good.....craigslist is free to use so id try that one first. You could always take them to a used book store but i dont see you getting much for them there :(
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• $5-8/hardback is overpriced. I'm sorry, but it is. I agree on .50-1.00 for soft covers and $1-3 on hardcovers. They just don't have that kind of resale value. The only other thing I can think of is to offer them as a lot - buyer takes all for a set price but even then you won't get $5-8 each. You need to really lower your expectations on the value.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 6:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I take my books to Half-Price Books. I box them up, take them in & wait while they tell tally up what they'll give me for the box, and if I choose to accept their offer, they pay me in cash. If I don't like the offer, I'm free to take my books back & leave. It's easy, fast & convenient.

If you don't have a Half-Price Books nearby, then craigslist, ebay or Amazon, but no matter how you choose to get rid of them, you're not going to get as much as you're thinking for them. Most people don't want hardbacks b/c they're hard to store & the dust jackets are a pain, so expect to get no more than $1 or $2 each if you can find buyers. The asking price for your paperbacks is more realistic and you'll likely get that much for them if you sell them at a garage sale or through craigslist.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• thanks everyone for the answers, you've all been very helpful! altho a little depressing about the hardcovers, but i guess i do see that.
    katvixenstar

Comment by katvixenstar (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I am a bit of a book junky - and the place I go does buy them back, but you have gotten some good advice here because it is unlikely that you will get much for them. Personally, the "donate it to the library" sounds like the best option...anything to get the taxable income down, IMO.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 7:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2010