• In the Spotlight:

Does any one know anything about being a foster parent?

My husband and I are done having kids, he is getting snipped on Friday. So we are thinking that we want to do foster care to help other kids who dont have a stable loving home to. And I was wondering if any of you Mommas have any experience with it and if you have any input on it.

MarineWife629

Asked by MarineWife629 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• http://www.fosterparenting.com/

You might want to check with your state, I'm sure it varies.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Requirements vary by state and also by population served. Both of my children were my foster children prior to our adopting them.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 4:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have not been a foster parent but have worked with foster children and special needs children. It takes a special person to do this. My cousin has done it. From my experience it would be a tough call. My hubby and I discussed it...we actually looked at working for a company that houses you in a home and you take care of numerous children. Kind of like foster care and group homes combined. But IMO it's too risky. If I was to only get children under a certain age I would consider it. But once they get older I would fear what damage could be done to my home and family. Some adolescents I worked with would steal, get angry and destroy things, etc. Some of those children were so horribly abused, sexually, physically, mentally, etc that they are very mentally damaged. It's not something to jump into without getting all the info you can on what to expect. I have a mental health degree and could never do it. Kudos to those that do!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Foster care can be a mixed joy. It is wonderful to see the help that you've given these kids. But it can hurt when they're given back to thier family or adopted by a different family.
    ToraMay

Answer by ToraMay at 4:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i think foster parenting has it's good and bad qualities. It really does take a special person to do it. I haven't done it, but I know someone who does. You get children with real problems that come into your home. You have suicidal children, abusive children, kids with drugs, children with mental and phisical problems. My friend had a child bring a knife in and try to hurt her.
    You have good children too though so don't get me wrong. Also you get attached to some of those children and they get taken away from you to go to another home or back with their parent, and that can be very heart wrenching especially because once the leave you aren't allowed to call or go see them, they have to contact you and it is rare that they do,.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Dh and I have been licensed foster parents for 5 years and in that time have had a total of 23 kids through our home and one investigation for child abuse, (unfounded we did nothing wrong just a very disturbed little girl) Each state is different with requirements we went through 30 hours of training and an exstensive homestudy, have to take classes every year to keep our license, but we have adopted 3 beautiful children this way and look to adopt again we hope. It is tough to love these kids knowing that more than likely they will return home or to another family member. In our state you can be specific as to ages and sex of child you will take, we are only open to children under 6 so as to keep the birth order of our 3. Check into whether or not your state has a orientation that would introduce you to foster care requirements and then just go from there. GL
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was in foster care for a short period, and they were terrible to me! They got their kids mcdonlads, and gave us hotdogs, i wasnt allowed to use the phone, and i slept in a basement with no air or heat! Dont do it if you dont want to treat them like your own please!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010