Somebody help me! I'm turning into a carseat nazi!

I saw one of my neighbors (friend) pull her 4 month old daughter out of the car. The straps on the car seat were so loose they weren't even on her shoulders. Do I say something? If so, what?

And then another neighbor (kind of a friend) doesn't always strap her kids in- ages 2 and 1. I even saw them put 8 people into a Honda Civic! Do I say something to her?

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 4:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• rkoloms-the term *carseat nazi* was made up by people who dont give a crap about their kids safety in the car.Thats what they call the people who care.

OP- I, personally, would say something.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Always remember..you run a risk when you say something to someone that they view as criticizing their parenting; however, if there was an accident and the police said that the child would have been fine if they were properly latched in could you live with yourself for not saying something?
    BraydensMommy4

Answer by BraydensMommy4 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Take the license number and call the cops if it bothers you that much. That way there's no confrontation, and it's in the laws hands, and out of yours...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• OMG!! I have that neighbor. And she is both yours combined into one!! You should say something, but not in an ugly Carseat Nazi way. Kind of like, "Girl, your not affraid you will get a ticket without the kids in their seats? Those are expensive! But I would be more afraid of an accident. You got to be Careful!!" Same kind of thing with the loose seat straps. Maybe with her it is because she is a new mom and doesn't really know.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 4:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Honestly, I would say something. But I would try to be as non confrontational about it as possible.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The first I'd be less concerned about but I'd have to talk to the second person because that is truly endangering her children and is against the law!
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• if you are friends with the one then yeah maybe you can get away with saying something to her but the other one i would just leave it alone .they both may get offened if you say something tho
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• stay out of it. just make sure you never let your kid in their cars ever
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• How can you compare this to someone who murdered 13 million people? For those of us who had family members murdered by nazis, it is incredibly offensive.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010