So I probably shouldn't base religious assumptions on Seinfeld episodes, but

I was watching an old Seinfeld re-run and it showed Jerry getting a blood transfusion. I thought Jewish people weren't allowed to receive blood transfusions or blood products? Are there variations to this rule? Is he not Jewish in Seinfeld? or am I nuts for even noticing? lol. I hope I don't sound rude, just ignorant!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's JW (Jehovah's Witnesses) that don't receive blood transfusions. Jews can receive blood transfusions.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Just to add to what Eringobrough had to say: According to Jewish belief, saving a life is one of the most important mitzvot (commandments), overriding nearly all of the others. (The exceptions are murder, certain sexual offenses, and idol-worship—we cannot transgress these even to save a life.) Therefore, if a blood transfusion is deemed medically necessary, then it is not only permissible but obligatory.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/625443/jewish/Is-blood-transfusion-permissible-in-Jewish-belief.htm

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Thank you guys!!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I don't know if he is Jewish on the show, but I do believe he is in real life. The others answered your main question though.
    InkedVixen

Answer by InkedVixen at 6:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2008