How have your religious beliefs changed since you were younger?

I was raised in an open household that was able to practice whichever religion they believed. For a while I went to a different church than my own mother and step-father.
Even though I was raised in a Christian environment I have since felt no pull to that belief any longer and I am now Atheist.

How have your beliefs changed from how you were raised or how you felt at a younger age?
Does my change make you worry about how your children may believe when they are older, since they may choose NOT to believe how you do or may choose not to believe at all?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I was raised in a Christian family. I was baptised as a baby, attended Sunday school and Vacation Bible School. I went through Confirmation classes and was confirmed when I was thirteen. I always questioned things though, and would ask my pastor questions during classes that he just couldn't answer to my satisfaction. I went through a highly religious phase when I was in my early twenties, but then just realized that I couldn't force myself to believe what I simply didn't believe. I'm agnostic, now, and am raising my girls to question things. I just told my older daughter today that I want her to think for herself, and believe what seems true to her, not to blindly follow what she's being told to believe.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Growing up I developed and had a Jewish identity. We were not very observant, but I was always proud of being Jewish.

I have become more observant as I have gotten older, met and married DH, had kids, etc... I went from not keeping kosher and not caring to raising my children in a kosher house hold. We take them to synagogue. They go to a Jewish school for their educations. All things that I had never really considered growing up.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Well I was raised Christian but never really believed in it anyways. The bigges change was admitting to myself what I believed rather than try to force myself to believe as my peers.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Growing up I went to church. It was more fun to get away from the house than anything honestly.. lol religion was never pushed on me. In my teens I became athiest. As I became a mother and entered my 20s I now consider myself agnostic/spiritual. I believe in a higher power, but not organized religion. I believe a wide variety of things, covering many religions, so I'm just me. Lol
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was raised Catholic. At 15 I wanted to be a nun... :)
    Now, I am a practicing Kemetic and will more than likely let my DS choose his own path as well,
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 9:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have become less observant over the years; my teen is intersted in becoming more observant.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• A little bit. I was raised in a Reform Jewish household, my parents are still Reforme Jews. DH and I arenow Orthodox Jews.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was born into a Baptist family & went to & was baptized in a Baptist church until I was 12 when my parents became Jehovah's Witnesses & yanked us out of the Baptist religion. Our lives were forever changed. When I married I married a Catholic & brought up my children as Catholics. This forever estranged our family. My sister married & became Lutheran. She & I & our families were banished. My parents have passed on & my sister & I haven't seen our little brother in years. Life can be so sad!! Now that I am in the last years of my life I don't seem to have the need for religion as when I was young (a child). Sometimes I think I may be an Atheist. When I went to Sunday School they taught me that God was a good,kind,just man who loved us all. I have seen too much,much too much in my lifetime to ever believe that again. I believe that when I die there will be nothing waiting for me.I'll just have a nice long sleep.AAAHHH!!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My views have changed over time... or perhaps more correctly, I grew into them over time. I remember having a pantheistic idea of God as a young child... I simply assumed that this was incorporated in Christianity because that was the only religion I was even nominally involved with. As a teen, I began really learning about Christianity and found that the God depicted there (particularly the Old Testament God) was NOTHING like what I had always perceived. Over time I became more interested in various different religions and as an adult I practice Buddhism and still lean towards pantheism (God is all, not a personified deity.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was raised wiccan until age 12 then christianity til age 15 after that i was a bit lost. now i consider myself agnostic. my dd is talking about god and the bible more and more so she may start church soon. my other 2 are to young yet but we are open.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010