Do you think women should be tested differently than men to become a firefighter?

There was just a question posted about 'dumbing down' testing requirement for minorities wanting to join the FDNY.

Well, do you think women should have an easier physical test than men?

"The FDNY did not even accept applications from women until 1977. A group of women sued the department in 1979 after failing the physical, claiming it was discriminatory. The women who sued were allowed to take a different test. As a result, 41 females entered the department in 1982."

What are your thoughts?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/blazin_mad_firegals_cryin_discrimination_4By2ECiNj8NlzO0twbeUuL

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 4:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The test should be the same for everyone. There is a lot of training and knowledge going into being a firefighter and whether you are a woman, man or minority, the test should be the same.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• since they will be doing the same job i think they should pass the same test.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No.
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 4:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Same test for everyone
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 4:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It should be the same for everyone.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes.. our bodies are built differently. Our brains are wired differently as well. I took some tests recently and one was mechanical/spatial and usually the men get higher scores than the women.. I pretty much score very very low! Mechanical jobs and jobs that require spatial thinking would not be for me.
    I wonder if it would be better for people to take tests to see what their strengths and weaknesses are to determine the best career for them!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No. The test should be the same for everyone. I went through the training, but I never did pass the test. I also went thru Paramedic training and I did pass that test.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree. They will be doing the same things on the job, so why take a different test.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• for those who say they should have a different test, should they be given different tasks on the job
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I know a women who applied to be a Firefighter and there was a strength and endurance test which would determine hereligibility. That is a major criteria for being accepted regardless of genda.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2010