why does my dog eat wood chips and rocks? he's been doing this for years, and my vet says he is healthy.

swl657

Asked by swl657 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Pets

• Because dogs are stupid!! LOL! If he's okay, I wouldn't worry about it. My dog eats some weird stuff too. Wouldn't it be great if we had stomachs like them!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Because he can.

Our dog used to chew on anything wood - wood chips, sticks and the wood molding on our walls. She was just a chewer. Not fun, but she was happy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My dog used to eat ole wood off tree branches until it perforated his stomach and he almost died. Don't allow that,it can get stuck in their stomach and scratch and cause them to bleed.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 4:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have 3 American Pitbull Terriers and 2 old english bulldogs and they all do it. I vet says it helps with there teeth kind of like dental flosh (sorry dont know how to spell that) and it cleans there teeth too!!
    jorhmommy

Answer by jorhmommy at 5:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Be happy that he is ONLY eating sticks and rocks. At my old job, my supervisor had to take her dog in for major surgery because the dog ate panty hose, cigarette butts and just a whole bunch of other things. My dog will eat my underwear. Pisses me off.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 5:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• mineral difficiency
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 11:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Dogs are scavengers and will eat things that smell good. There is little chance that it has anything to do with any deficiencies in their diet. They just eat things. Try to avoid letting your dog eat these things though because they can cause severe medical problems like perforations in the GI tract as well as blockages and could lead to a very pricey surgery. Do not leave your dog unattended in areas where he has access to these items.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:03 AM on Aug. 4, 2010