What do you think of Anne Rice's break up with Christianity

On her official website she posted the following announcement via her facebook feed this afternoon:"I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• LOL..that is awesome. I like her statement.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Love it! That's pretty much how I went about it... 12 years ago. :)
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes i do too, What Rice describes is a set of behaviors that she observes in the lives of other Christians. I support Rice, and similarly have no patience for those outward behaviors which destroy the Gospel ethic of agape love that Jesus lived in His ministry.

Because I do not see her description in the life of Christ, then her observations and reactions are to those who claim Christ, but do not reflect the attitude or likeness of Christ.

That I can quit. But quit on Christ? Never. Quit on striving to follow Christ and become more Christ-like in action, thought, and word? Never. I am committed to Christ. And I agree with Rice that what she describes should not just be quit--it should be run out of the church as fast as possible

35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• That is her right. She could have looked around at other christian faiths that fit her beliefs better first, but that is her choice.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Good for her. I think it is our right to quit anything, including Christianity.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Ann Rice is both fallible and peccable, like the rest of us, so it would be unwise to take her words as true wisdom. It's also disturbing how erroneously she defined Christianity.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• To Anne Rice I say AMEN!! You go girl!!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I posted a question about this a while ago when I first heard... All I can say is "It's about damn time" I think the last person to know this wasn't her true path - was HER!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• So she broke away again? Wonder how long it will be before she goes back this time? Think it was most of her life last time. Didn't she just go back to Catholicism like 5 years ago after breaking away when she was a teenager?

Basically, I'm not surprised at all. I agree with what Sabrina said lol. I think SHE was the last to realize that it just wasn't for her. I think that her going back a few years ago was a mid-life crisis lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• She isnt walking away from God, just from the religious christianity . I do not think many of you read the article that was posted about this but she never say she was walking away from God. She is breaking away from the catholicism way of christianity.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010