Do you put your babies in shoes??

My MIL has an obession with buying my 7 mo old dd shoes. I swear to God this child has FIFTY pairs of shoes, and I have NEVER purchased a single pair. She has tennis shoes, converse shoes, flip flops, dress shoes.... everything. I have told my MIL over and over again, I don't put her in shoes. For pictures or something I will. But in general I don't. Babies do not need shoes and hard sole shoes are bad for them! It's hard enough keeping socks on her, I'm not fighitng with shoes all day too. So this weekend I had a yardsale and sold about half of the shoes. What really made me laugh was that every single person who bought shoes was talking about giving them to the grandkids! not a single mom with a baby bought ANY! Most of the moms said "oh those are so cute, but I don't put her in shoes"

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only if it was cold outside would I put shoes on their feet. And that's only if there winter suite didn't have footies on it to keep them warm.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My Mom liked buying shoes for my babies.. One day in a department store, one of the little shoes got lost, and I went looking everywhere for it. They were so cute and some are defnitely not cheap.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i have a shoe obession to so everyone of my kids has shoes on since the day they came home from the hosp lol . my second hated shoes i was so upset lol
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Those baby shoes are so darn cute. And hard for grandmoms to resist! We didn't put our kids in shoes until they were walking quite well. My mom went nuts insisting they had to have good support in order to walk well. It was a struggle to get her to relax!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You are so right OP.
    shoes are bad for babies and it's been proven that babies who learn how to walk with shoes on actually have a harder time with it then babies who don't wear shoes!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• At 7 mos?? No. When she started walking then she was in shoes when she was outside of the house but she usually at one time has a pair of sandals, a pair of tennies, a pair of "work boots" and a pair of winter boots. No more!
    teener_beaner

Answer by teener_beaner at 5:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We had Robeez & Pedipeds.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I didn't put shoes on my kids until they could walk, and that was for support for their ankles. They are cute as you say, but most of the time they don't stay on. You can get socks that are just as cute as shoes now a days. It's a shame, seems you MIL isn't taking the hint, and is wasting money she could use on somethig else. Maybe suggest to her nicely, I'd rather you get her such and such that she really needs right now, and we'll go for shoes when she is able to walk and run around. You might just say she has enough for now, but needs this or that and just see how she goes from there. Good luck, I wish she was buying all MY shoes.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son is a year old and has maybe worn shoes for like a total of 30 mins his entire life..and its because we went to a funeral. I heard a long time ago that babies should learn how to walk barefoot first, without shoes on their feet. So that has always stuck with me. My son isn't walking yet (almost) so its unnecessary for him to have shoes on. In the winter I just put super warm socks on his feet.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Nope. My daughter will be a year old in a couple weeks and has never worn shoes. I am buying her her first pair later this week for her 1 year pics this weekend. And she's going to be walking here soon, so she will need shoes when we go out.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010