How do you keep your kitchen sponges from smelling?

No matter how well I rinse my sponges they always seem to stink after a couple of uses!! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Wash them. Either dish washer or clothes washer with your dish towels.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 5:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i throw mine out after a while
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I usually throw them away when they start to smell soar.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 5:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• after use, ring dry as much as possible
    rinse with bleach water
    after too much use, i cut the corner off and put under sink for cleaning use
    the cut corner reminds others that this sponge not to be used on dishes
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• someone told me once you can icrowave them but I am not sure how. there is a brand that walmart sells that contains some type of material that doesnt hold the bacteria(thats why they smell-ick), it starts with an E, but cant recall the full name. but any washing(dishwasher or washing machine) make sure it is on hot setting to kill all remaining bacteria.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If you leave them slightly damp (wring the water out first) and then put them in the microwave for 1 minute it should kill all the bacteria and make the smell go away.
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Once a week I bleach my kitchen sink and usually throw my sponges into the bleach water to soak as well. If my sponges are stinky or look bad I throw em out.
    nebraskamamaof2

Answer by nebraskamamaof2 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I throw them in the dishwasher.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I throw mine in the washing machine every once in a while.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't use them. Unless you bleach them everyday they are always loaded with microbes (including the treated ones) and when you wipe things down to 'clean' them, the only thing you're doing is spreading those germs everywhere. It's sort of like icing a cake with germs. Bleck!

I can our food and process our meat in my kitchen, as well as handle raw milk for making cheese and butter. I use washcloths, and I use a clean one each time. Yup, I have a lot ~ but when they come out of the washer I know they are clean. In 25 plus years of home canning and cooking I've never once had an incident of food poisoning or cross contamination.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010