Does ERF make your child smarter? For those who geot confused when I asked before- ERF=extended rear facing (when your child's car seat is in rear facing position) and EBF=extended breast feeding.

This question, like the other one I did earlier, is about EXTENDED REAR FACING car seat, NOT EBF. Everyone made fun and thought that I misspelled and meant that it was about breast feeding. I said ERF and I meant ERF.

I saw someone indicate somewhere that their child was a year ahead academically because they ERF (Extended Rear Facing in a car seat). How does that work? Seriously people, it won't make your kid smarter or prettier or a better kid. It can only make them be safer!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• How in the world would ERF have anything to do with intelligence? Makes no sense what so ever.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• idk about anyone being smarter from their seating position... i find it kind-of absurd to assume that would be why a child would be smarter. The E though is supposed to stand for EXCLUSIVE which means ONLY- in EBF and ERF. :)
    annaica

Answer by annaica at 5:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Actually, the E can stand for Exclusive or Extended. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• lol, idk. i would be interested in hearing the reasoning behind that too lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• She probably misunderstood you. I can't imagine that anyone would actually argue that ERF makes a kid smarter. Safer yes, smarter no! BTW I'm a ERF & I will tell you right now it hasn't made my kid any smarter! :)
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No but it makes you seem smarter :)
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree, its silly to think extended rear facing will make your child smarter.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I turn mine around at 1 in a 5 point restraint carseat Just like my pedi told me too...HA! My kids are very smart, and they werent treated like babies for 5 years
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• no, not smarter.
    less likely to be seriously injured/killed.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think people over estimate a car seat period! They should be used and correctly, but in the event of a serious crash, I don't give a rip what way the kid is facing...chances are not great that a carseat will save a life. Some things are just beyond control. Kind of like a seat bealt on an airplane...in the case of turbulance fine but in a crash...may as well have a piece of wet pasta holding you to your seat. I think this debate is silly period. As for making your child smarter...oh yeah, theres a valid philosophy!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010