What interview questions do you like/hate?

I am interviewing someone on Friday. This will be my first time that I have ever interviewed someone else. I know the illegal questions that I can not ask, but I was wanting to know questions that you like being asked in an interview and ones that you just don't see the point of asking or that you just hate when they ask it. Thanks in Advance!

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 5:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Why are you better suited to the job than other candidates? I can tell you why I'm qualified, but I have no idea as to the certifications and experience of the other applications; you're asking me to make a comparison without adequate data.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't like the question, 'What did you not like about your last job?" I know it's a good question though- I just don't like answering it.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't like when interviewers ask situational questions especially before you know the rules of the company, like what would you do if...... If I don't know what expected of me I can't answer that fairly.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If you are hiring for a high stress fast paced kind of job my favorite question is: How well do you handle stress? I had one applicant tell me she pops an ativan and calls her therapist to help her get re-focused.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Vague questions in general..i hate the tell me about yourself! its very open ended...im like..hmm to you want my skill set my goals my personal life...ugg...my mind starts running, whats the first thing a mom wants to talk about HER KIDS! and doing so. IDK some people look at it like oh she has kids she'll be missing work for doc apointments sick children and such...it just leaves the door open for me to stick my foot in my mouth!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Here are a few; send me a message offlist if you would like to discuss this further:

Why did you apply for this position?
    What do you know about our company?
    If you were to give yourself a performance review, what would be the positives? What would be the areas for improvement? What would be the general comments?
    What frustrates you? How do you handle your frustrations?
    What have you accomplished you in your current/most recent postion?
    What do you like to do for fun?
    What types of people do you have a difficult time working with?
    What do you like to read?
    What has been your greatest accomplishment so far (work or not)?
    Have you ever had an accomplishment overlooked? How did you react to this?
    What was the most difficult decision you made this year? Did you make the correct decision? What might you have done differently?
    What person has had the most influence on your life?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I like asking specific questions about past situations. For example "tell me about a time that you had an angry customer and what did you do?" This tells me what the did not what they think they should do. I am not sure there is anything I hate being asked.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010