Switching to Whole Milk

Our daughter just turned one, and we recently switched her to whole milk. Ever since the switch she is very fussy and irritable. Usually a happy child, she is cranky and at times gets mad and pushes us away if we try to be lovey, change her diaper, etc. Those are just a couple of instances. She drinks the milk fine, was constipated for a day but now seems to be regular. Just wondering if it's the milk and/or if anyone else experienced this? I feel like we're in the terrible 1's!

andieg221981

Asked by andieg221981 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter switched to whole milk just fine,so idk what you're going through hope u get the answer u need!I bumped you =]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son seemed to have an upset tummy when we started him on milk. We had to water the milk down for him. He still can only handle 1% milk.
    nebraskamamaof2

Answer by nebraskamamaof2 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I hope that you slowly made the switch a couple ounces at a time. Her digestive system is messed up. I would put her back on formula for a week and then slowly a few ounces at a time add the whole milk. That is a HUGE change to a babies system. Good luck.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It could be related to the milk, or it could be something completely different..like a growth spurt or something. I would talk to her doctor about a different alternative you could try to see if she shows any change...soy milk maybe?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I did make the switch "cold turkey". I am a first timer and at her one year appointment the doctor did not tell me to do it any other way, although I suppose I didn't ask either. I will get some formula and try making the switch gradually to see if that helps. Thanks so much.
    andieg221981

Comment by andieg221981 (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Talk to a naturopath (another kind of doctor) about milk. We aren't meant to drink milk past infancy, and we were never meant to drink cow's milk! If you talk to a regualr MD Doctor they will tell you that milk is the best source for cacium which is bogus because cow's milk has components that blocks absorption of calcium in our bodies. Most people have issues with milk. Seriously, MOST people do. It can be very mild acting like they are overly tired to full blown throwing up. Usually with little kids they are defiant, cranky, have bags under their eyes... Better sources of calcium are: beans, soy products, dark leafy greens, oranges, and seaweed. You can easily add seaweed and dark leafy greens to fruit smoothies and use soy milk or orange jiuce as the liquid and you'll have as much caclium as you would have with cow's milk but absorb more of it!
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 6:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Where do you buy seaweed?
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• When I switched my boys to milk ,I was told by my DR. to use 2% milk.I never had a problem.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 6:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It could be the milk, or not... It seems like 1 year olds are going through a whole bunch of changes: weaning, teething, separation anxiety, independence, developments in walking, and learning new things every day. No wonder they are moody at times! Does she ever initiate the snuggles or is she resenting any closeness? Could she be teething? How long have you noticed this change? I definitely don't want to dismiss your instincts, but I know I am so close to my kid (and I'm a 1st time mom) that normal developmental changes surprise me. My husband actually started keeping track of how many days I said our son was "not himself" in the last month (DS is 12 months)... embarrasingly I said this on most days. :)

If you just really think it is the milk, ask your kid's doctor about the possibility of a mild lactose intolerance. You might want to schedule time to really talk to him/her about all the things going on, including milk.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 7:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010