Does anyone know what kind of screening teachers go through to get hired? POIG

Background checks? periodical drug tests?
I saw on my high school cousins facebook page that just in the las couple of yrs that several teachers have been arrested for numerous things...
>>This is what they are saying<<
no no no thats not why she got arrested she has been gotten arrested a while ago, i was let in on this info from a jackson high teacher. not saying any names but all the jackson teachers know about it . she was arrested for having a meth lab in her appartment and distributing it to minors. just so everyone knows haha. dont ask me who told me i wont tell you
Jackson high is all messed up back in the day there was a coach who had sex with the teenage girls last year there was a teacher who tried to bribe a girl into having sex with him so she could pass and this year theres a teacher who is getting arrested for prostitution and distibuting meth ! Wow im glad im outta there.
OMG!!! CAN WE SAY HOME SCHOOL?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• State and Federal background check and drug test for most school systems.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• There are good and bad people in every situation- some of us our good people who became teachers to make a difference in the lives of all of our students =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• State and federal background checks including fingerprinting, drug testing (preemployment and intermittently as arranged by individual districts), proof of credential (including professional development), ongoing education, degree level, and previous experience. New teachers must have a portfolio detailing classroom work through student teaching with master/guide teacher comments and recommendations.

Some are able to get through the system and not be suited for the classroom--but this is true of virtually any profession. I had a dentist growing up who gave bubble gum as a reward for good behavior--um, yeah.

Most teachers are upstanding community members, church members/attendents, parents, and highly qualified. You can't just send out a cattle call and get good teachers! LOL
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 1:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Criminal background check, drug test, and, in NC, all references have to be checked without fail. That means all professional and personal.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• In Ohio you are finger printed in college as you cannot even do the required observations of classrooms without an FBI backround check. I was never given a drug test. Ohio follows the Ohio Pathwise Model of instruction. You build a giant portfolio showing proof of your ability in over one hundred different areas. This follows you your entire career. You take it to your interviews.

In Ohio there are 3 major Praxis exams to be taken for you license. Not too mention the 4 yrs of college and the money, and the TIME spent on earning this degree. Trust me, only a handful of dumbasses are willing to throw all of this work down the drain to do drugs or have sex with a student.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That's pretty crazy!
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I had to submit to a series of state and federal background checks that included fingerprinting and pre-employment drug testing.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010