Why is it offensive to put a Mosque near the ground zero site?

I wish people would understand the difference between Muslims and "Muslim Extremists" or aka "terrorists". I understand why they are upset but putting all emotions aside and actually looking at it logically, there is a distinct difference between someone's place of worship and someone's crazy mind.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38538068/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 5:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• But let me say that, I do not have an issue with Muslims or any other religion, but I still feel that this whole mosque business is highly inappropriate considering what happened at that site on that day... It is,in a manner of speaking, a huge f you to survivors and the families of those that did not survive.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I understand what you are saying and there is a difference, I just feel that most people feel it is a slap in the face doing this so close to the memorial site, even though I am very well aware that these Muslim, are not extremist or  terrorist do it somewhere else, out of respect for the many lives lost and the ones still mourning. the location is what most reject, not the actual place of worship.

Answer by older at 6:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It isn't. People are very narrow minded and rude.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Building a mosque on OUR sacred ground

YOUR sacred ground? Define "OUR" since you obviously couldn't give a shit about the Muslims working in the twin towers who died that day, or their families and their pain. Who else isn't allowed in your little sacred group? Is it based on religion or skin color?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• People are "very narrow minded and rude" to people of all faiths different than their own ~ apparently. They are bigoted and stomping on the rights of others. I'm not sure when the definitions for all of these things all began to be defined by stating one's opinion, but that's the way it is.

Whether or not it was 'extremists' who flew those planes into the towers, those extremists cited Islam and Allah as their inspiration. Whether or not there are peaceful Muslims, they were silent after that act of war ~ except for those who claimed they were victims of hate crimes by outraged Americans. The few who did voice a protest only did so after Americans asked 'where is the outcry against this?'.

It will be built regardless of how anyone feels, so why keep asking the question? Are you expecting different answers?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I live in Manhattan and I'm married to a NYPD cop and I find this very offensive. It's like putting a German war memorial at a concentration camp imo.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 6:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No matter how many times this question is posted to stir up trouble, the mosque will likely be built. Personally, I don't think it's right but that doesn't matter. I have no say. And it really is all right for people to have opinions that are different from yours. It doesn't make them small minded or racist or anything else. It makes them human.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• At first, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf insisted the funds would be raised entirely from the Muslim-American community.
    But then he told an Arabic-language newspaper in Britain that funding would also come from Arab countries.
    And it should be noted that Rauf's father was the long-time director of the Islamic Center of New York, which built the mosque on Third Avenue and 96th Street -- a project funded primarily by the governments of Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and other Muslim nations.
    Now, the Saudis openly fund mosques abroad, spreading the radical Wahhabi strain of Islam, as a means of pacifying their own home-grown radicals.So it would be particularly troubling if Rauf's funding comes from abroad -- particularly from Riyadh.
    Especially given his own disturbing ties to figures like Hossein Mahallati, Iran's former UN ambassador and an unabashed supporter of Hamas.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:21 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Plenty of other damned places to put it in NYC.

Sensitivity??

Common sense??????????????????

Are these friggin' people lacking a place to worship?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Building a mosque on OUR sacred ground - it is WRONG. Muslims KILLED thousands of innocents on 9/11. The koranis a hate filled blueprint on what to do with those of us who will not convert - kill us, or enslave us - and some of us just keep preaching "tolerance"- forget that - If I lived in NY I would be tempted to drive a semi through that building every single day - BTW - there are many mosques in that area - they do not need another one anywhere near where the Twin Towers were - and no, there was NOT one at that spot previously.

misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010