HOW DO YOU COOK TOFU?

I WANT TO MAKE STIR-FRY AND THIS IS MY FIRST TIME COOKING TOFU. HOW DO YOU INCRPORATE IN IN A STIR-FRY? PLEASE HELP!

annaica

Asked by annaica at 5:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Cut it in little cubes and season it whichever way you want then fry it in a bit of olive oil until it turns a little brown, then add to your stir fry. Tofu is completely tasteless, it will absorb whatever you put on it.

Answer by older at 6:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't. blech! lol Sorry.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Here is a great recipe; send me a message offlist if you would like more recipes using tofu:

Tasty Stir Fry – this is a great recipe that you can adjust based on what you have on hand
    1/2 pound flat noodles (I use whole wheat linguine)
    3 tablespoons oil
    1 small onion, sliced
    1 cup sliced broccoli
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
    1/2 cup sliced bamboo shoots
    1 cup bean sprouts
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons dry sherry (you can sub apple cider vinegar, apple juice, beer, etc.)
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 1/2 pounds bean curd (tofu, I use firm or extra firm), cubed
    2 teaspoons sesame seeds
    2 tablespoons cashew nuts
    2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
    2 tablespoons green peppers, chopped

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Heat a pot of salted water & boil the noodles till tender. Rinse, drain & keep warm on a serving dish. Heat oil in a wok & stir fry onion, broccoli, mushrooms, water chestnuts & bamboo shoots for 2 minutes. Add bean sprouts & fry for 1 minute. Place on dish with noodles. Keep warm. Add a little more oil & fry ginger & garlic for 1 minute. Stir in salt, sugar, soy sauce, sherry & sesame oil. Add bean curd. Fry gently till bean curd begins to brown. Mix together with the noodles & vegetables. Keep warm. Add a little more oil to the wok & fry the sesame seeds, nuts, green onion & pepper till the nuts begin to brown. Use a garnish for the rest of the meal. Serves 2 to 4.

• in a pan
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't.... Yuck!
    Dr.Pepper10

Answer by Dr.Pepper10 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I put it in my bowl when I go to Ghengis Grill, they put it on the hot plate with everything else.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

This ^^. All you need to worry about with tofu is that you have it cut to a uniform thickness so it cooks evenly. Cubes or slices is up to you. It cooks up kind of like sliced mushrooms.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:26 AM on Aug. 4, 2010