This is my first pregnancy and I'm a week overdue and I still haven't started to leak anything, even clostrum. Is this normal? I'm afraid I won't be able to breastfeed.

MummoloMom2010

Asked by MummoloMom2010 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Don't panic. The first few days that's all your baby needs is colostrum. Eventually you will produce milk but for the first few days your baby's stomach is so small that she/he will need is that colostrum.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I never "leaked" anything until my babies were born.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Dont worry, it will come... my youngest (4 weeks old) was born on a thursday I didnt have anything till saturday but when it did come in it was like a flood LOL
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Don't worry. Your due date is entirely a guess as to when you're baby will arrive based on when most babies are born. I knew of mothers who went three and four weeks past their due date and had healthy happy babies and breastfed just fine. Almost every woman can breastfeed with the exception of some who have had trauma to their nipples or milk ducts. I never leaked anything either until after my milk came in a few days after the baby was born. Breastfeeding is important so I would ask to see a lactation consultant at the hospital if they have one and if not then a nurse who has experience with breastfeeding women to make sure you have a good latch. It's awkward the first few days and your baby will want to nurse A LOT! Totally normal. If you have any questions before or after your baby is born you can add me as a friend and I'll help you the best I can. I have lots of experience and lots of education on this matter.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 6:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I beleive some pregnant women don't leak at all until after they're milk comes in at 2 to 3 days after baby is born. Mine was very minimal. A drop here and there. If you really want to be successful in breastfeeding I would check out kellymom.com. It answered a ton of my questions. Also the breastfeeding groups on here are usually very helpful.
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 6:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Since this is your first baby I would not worry. There are some women who do not leak anything. In the first few days of your babies life the Colustrum is all that they need. I am sure that it will come in :-)
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 6:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i didnt leak anything until about a week after my dd was born. the only problem we had with breastfeeding was the latch. i wouldnt worry about it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• my milk came in late- about a week after DD was born... i am a breastfeeding away tho with no problems now & she's 6 months old! don't worry about it:) talk to a lactation consultant, LLL, or your OB/midwife if you can't shake off the worries! HUGS!
    annaica

Answer by annaica at 6:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes it is normal! And you probably will be able to breastfeed.

Also I would bet if you got in a warm shower that you'd see something come out. But even if you don't, you're still fine!

Congrats!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I've had 3 kids, and not once have I leaked anything prior to giving birth. I have also successfully breastfed all of my children. Don't worry or stress out right now.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 6:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010