Mom's

Me and my mom are very close but, I want to date move on a little bit. Its hard to when she thinks she needs to be with me all the time. I need a little bit of help... PLEASE... my dad lives some where else and when he is not here she clings to me, when he is here she clings to him (they are not separated). It starting to drive me nuts. A little help please

bridynme

Asked by bridynme at 6:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• Do you live with her? Perhaps take her to some social events where she'll meet other women her age or even church or something like that. Help her branch out and be more confident. Slowly wean her off of you, let her know in advance when you've made plans so that it's not a sudden blow. Make plans!! Explain that you need some girl time with your friends and that it's awkward for them when she's there, or however you want to say it. Don't just drop her like a hot potato, but let her know she's important to you by making quality time with her instead of quanitity time.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 6:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• have you tried talking to her tell her you have some stuff to do but will go see her when you are done. or like a special day where you guys can hang out together all day or something. or maybe you can tell her to go out with her friends tell her to join a craft class or something she likes so she can find friends and have fun at the same time. maybe she just feels lonely you can try helping her find friends
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You make it sound like you are breaking up with her so that you can date other people. LOL. She's your mom! You need to tell her that you want a man in your life and it would fab if she could help you out with that.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You need to find her friends. Start at your church.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree, find her friends.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• help her find some friends and a hobby.. my mom is the same way, i love her dearly but its tiring
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Do you know if she's in the early stages of demtia? That's kind of common (not to scare you, just my experience with an aunt and my grandfather). If that's not it, then tell her you have an appointment or you're going to meet a friend and that you will call her when you get home. Just don't make your self so accessible, and like others have said, encourage her to join a club or other activity to make friends.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010