How can I promote my new wedding cakes business?

newmomof1won

Asked by newmomof1won at 6:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• The key to any successful business is getting it in front of prospective clients... You can advertise all you want, but if no new couples see it, it's not going to matter... Since you already have a catering business, I would say the first thing you need to do is add "cake services" to your menu. The second thing I would suggest is that if you don't already have a website - get one... PM me if you want to know how to do this for little to no money - I pay $10 a year for mine. The next thing you need to do is PROMOTE. This can be done very low cost as well... Talk to other local wedding style businesses - planners, bakeries, decorates, candy shoppes, dress shoppes and so on. Offer to exchange flyers or business cards... Create a portfolio to share with them and if you can offer to give their customers a small discount... This will give them a reason to spread the word, because it helps them too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Facebook!

My friend started making cakes and is posting them on a facebook page just for her cakes. Her first post was in February and now 6 months later she has over 400 fans and is making cakes everyday. She also does other kinds of cakes too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• what area are you in
    costs money but a bridal show should give you a discount if you bring in samples of your cakes
    also will you be doing party cakes too or only weddings?
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 6:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Newspaper ads or local ads.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Word of mouth is the BEST advertiser!!

I would make appointments to meet with the catering managers of some of the busiest or most popular wedding reception venues in your area...bring a large color portfolio of all of your wedding cakes, business cards, and some samples! Ask them if they will consider suggesting your cakes to couples who book their receptions with them.

Attend bridal expos, and bring your portfolio book, fliers, business cards, and discount coupons. You could even raffle off a free cake to help promote your work!

Remember you are competing with bakeries...so you need to find your niche that sets you apart from the competition!! Make sure your prices are competitive, your customer service is stellar, and your professionalism and attention to detail above reproach! Good Luck!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Hey you could have a sample party and give out fliers and have some cakes on hand put out order sheets and start giving out samples. Samples do not have to be big but you could also get some other people to show up maybe some local food critics and make little cards to give away.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Also like the PP said give your cakes either a blog or a myspace or facebook. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Create your own website, or get wedding planners to advertise your cakes, as part of the planning.

Answer by older at 7:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• That is what I am trying to explain, this business is new, I am talking "newborn baby new". Like 2 days home from the hospital. My husband and I do catering. We are caterers and now we or I should say "I" am adding cakes to our reprotiore and I am looking for way to even build that portfolio that you are talking about.

i am trying to promote my business to budget-strapped brides/couples but I need some new ideas. I do, do other event cakes also. if you will look at the avatar on my profile, that is one of the cakes that I have done.
    newmomof1won

Comment by newmomof1won (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have more but I'm ran out of room & I have to get in the shower... PM me for more... I'm a planner, this is what I love to do! lol!