??

MY SON IS 6 DAYS OLD..HE WONT STOP SCRATCHING HIS FACE I'VE PUT MITTENS ON THEM AND HE TAKES THEM OFF,HE BROKE THE SKIN ON HIS FACE THIS MORNING SHOULD I TAKE HIM TO THE E.R? IF NOT WHAT EXACTLY DO I NEED TO PUT ON IT?

PrincessBreasia

Asked by PrincessBreasia at 6:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• newborn socks with a hairband around them or anything else to keep them on his hands. thats what we had to do with our little girl for a couple days after she was born. If you fix the mittens or socks with something he wont get them off.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Use your teeth and cut his fingernails. Clippers are a little more dangerous because it's hard to tell if you have skin, but with your mouth, you'll be able to tell if you have all nail.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 6:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• No, all babies scratch their face. Mine did it in the hospital when he was born. The mittens don't work just aggrivate them. Just try keeping them clipped. If you are careful you will not hurt them. The best time to do it is when they ae sleeping.
    hajpsmom

Answer by hajpsmom at 6:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I put socks on my son's hands. It works better than the mittens. Also, it's scary, I know, but you can cut his fingernails without hurting him if you are careful. Just wait until he is asleep and have someone help you. Congratulations on the new bundle of joy!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 6:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• they sell baby nail files so you don't have to worry about cutting those little fingers
    http://www.thecradle.com/styleandliving/howto_trimnails
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My daughter hated the mitten and would scratch herself until she was almost 3 months old. The mittens and socks and stuff never stayed on so we got the sleepers and buntings that had the hand flap that folds over the hand and she couldn't get those off for the most part, but ofcourse she wasn't always in those. But when she did happen to get scratches, and some were really bad, i just put a little dab of neosporin on it, and i would do that once a day, and normally in a few days it was healed. And i also would trim her fingernail with the baby clippers and take one of the softer files, and gently file right after i clipped so they weren't so sharp. Hope this helps, and pm me if you have any othe questions.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 9:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My son did this same thing. we found the PJ's will the built in part that just flips over his hands worked very well. Also we noticed that with mittens the longer he wore then the more stretched they got so change them often and they wont get lose!
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 10:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I bought the onesies and t-shirts with the mittens built in. These work great! I got three of them in a package at Target for $6 or $7.

delia100

Answer by delia100 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Clip his little nails! Get some onsies with built in mittens. And no.. don't bring him to the ER good grief it's a scratch... I don't see the emergency in that! Sorry to be rude... but think of the germs you would expose your newborn to for something like a scratch!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• At first, I would just file her little nails, but it seemed as though I only made them sharper. Well, since we never left the house when she was that young, I started putting her in nothing but the nightgowns, layettes with the built in mittens that fold over. Now, since she leaves the house, when she is not in a sleeper, I put socks on her hands, it works great. I always even make sure they match her outfit. I still occasionally cut and file her nails (like once a week), but I never leave her without something covering her hands, because she could scratch her eye or cornia!!! . . . Try the sleepers or socks!!! Good Luck!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2008