Is there anything in the Bible to help my Friend?

My friend is against smoking pot 100%. The problem is her husband keeps smoking and not telling her about it. He lied for the first 2 years of thier marriage. Anyways she told him no more or she would leave. He just didn't tell her anymore. but he had to take a drug test for work and had to admit he might fail it. But now she wants to know if anywhere in the bible does it tell you what to do in this situation. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• the bible only lists a reason for Divorce (infidelity), not SEPERATION. if she feels that strongly about it, then she should leave him, and he will either choose her over pot, or be the one filing for divorce, not her
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 6:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I am in the same situation. Is his job going to be their only income? I would say that if he gets in trouble and ends up in jail, she could let him deal with the consequences. He earned them all on his own. I absolutely put my foot down about him not doing it when the kids are awake, and I do not want them to smell it, find anything lying around, or see him high. I don't believe in divorce, either, except in extreme circumstances. If my DH was doing one of these things I listed, I would consider that detrimental to the kids. I'd start with counseling for both of us, then go on to separation, if necessary. The Scripture that comes to mind right now is Malachi 1:11 "God hates divorce". Jesus also told us to forgive 70 times 7 times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Colossians 3:12-14
    Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Here is a good resource for difficulty in marriage Encouragement for a Difficult Marriage
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think that is a silly reason to divorce/ or separate from some one, and the bible isn't against pot. Secondly to give up a family for it. Really. However the lying needs to stop, but what do you expect when you threaten someone. I say she needs to be less controlling and more of a partner. Look for a book by Maurene Anderson called making marriage a love story God's way. It's good and can help her learn to make request and get better answers then demanding or ultimatums.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If she has set limits on what she will tolerate, this is good. If she only wants to manipulate him into changing, that's too bad. Your friend probably should spend some time away from her husband until he shows true change. The purpose is to rebuild her trust in him, not to punish him. Seeking Christian counseling would be a good idea. (Matthew 18:15-17; 1 Corinthians 5:9-13)

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:23 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Her husband is getting high for a reason. Showing her a Bible verse to prove in her eyes what he is doing is wrong is not the answer. I suggest your friend seek Christian counseling how to lhelp with her husband issue. Leaving is the easy thing to do in a marriage. Sticking with it takes work.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 10:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• HM, the problem with one parent smoking pot is that it is currently illegal. The OP's friend may be concerned that his habit could cause her to lose her children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i think somewhere in there it says let your yes be yes and no be no... i.e. say what you mean and mean what you say. if she said she would leave she should leave. i could be wrong but i don't think the bible was real big on liars either. as for the marijuana... well yeah it's illegal, but it wasn't back in the day (in fact not until very recently) and king solomon's tomb was filled with it.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010