How to plan a wedding for "cheap" ?

My fiance and I would like to get married next September. That is the dream anyways. Reality is - we don't have that much money saved up and I don't think there is any way we will be able to save up the average cost of a wedding in a little over a year. The wedding dress that I picked out was on sale for only $100 and I know alot of people who are photographers so I'm hoping to get a deal there - even though it kind of makes me nervous because they aren't "professional wedding photographers"... Other than that, does anyone have any great money saving tips for our wedding ? And if it matters or anyone knows any good deals out here - we are in western Massachusetts. Thanks in advance :) P.S. - I know this should probably be under money and work but to me it's fun and I'm hoping there will be more answers here...

Samantha19

Asked by Samantha19 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Make cold plates for the meal rather then getting someone else to make them ask a friend/reletive!

we had our his mom make the cold plates with a couple of her friends they really enjoyed helping out!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 6:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• how much free time do you have? If you have the time, just do everything yourself. You can make favors, invitations, flower arrangements, everything if you have the time and the creativity. I personally love the Handmade Holidays group - everyone there has tons of great ideas, and there is an enntire forum for wedding stuff.

My brother just got married and the flowers were wild chicory and queen anne's lace from the side of the road, in canning jarrs that my mom had on hand with ribbon tied around them. They were GORGEOUS. It fit very will with the country-wedding theme. Just one example of how you can make something cheap.

Also, see if you can get your talented friends to help out - my mom's wedding gift from most of her friends was the wedding itself. She knew someone that made cakes, someone that did flowers, etc etc. Just be careful with how you ask - make it very diplomatic!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 6:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I had a beautiful wedding and reception for a little over $1200.00, yes twelve hundred. We had a champagne brunch at our favorite restaurant that had a beautiful party center. We invited 65 people, had Chicken Quattro Fromaggio and Beef Tips served to our guests (no buffet), served the cake for dessert, had champagne at each table and an open bar. We gave the bartenders a limit and told them to let us know when we were coming close. It had a fireplace and everything. We got married the week before Christmas and the place was all decorated. Which didn't cost us a dime, the church was all decorated tooo! No flowers needed. A friend of ours was a photographer and my BIL video taped it. It can be done! Think outside the box... :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Ask family to help you out!!! or maybe everyone you invite could go out and agree to eat somewhere and pay their own meals.
    I had 3 weddings to the same guy haha our first was in a court house, and another in a church, and one more in navajo court..
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Have the wedding ceremony at a park, the beach or other similar setting depending upon your area and likes. Then get a pastor to marry you. Borrow or buy a wedding dress. Rent the tuxedo or have groom wear a nice suit. Have a friend or family member be the photographer. Have the reception at a restaurant, family or friend's large backyard. The food can be either cooked by family members (pot luck style) or get a caterer. Have someone you know bake the wedding cake. Make you own goody bags or some other gift like cookies or candy and wrap in cellophane. Buy flowers in bulk and have the arrangements made by friends and family. Or make a similar table centerpiece.

The options are endless.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Elope! No but really set a budget right now. Tat way you know how much money you need to save up for it. And then stick to the budget. You can't go over unless you cut something else down.

If it's acceptable in your family, ask people to provide things for the wedding instead of gifts. Maybe aunt so and so does the photography for free. Cousins that can help decorate and clean up etc.

Have fun :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Oh a fall wedding, that will be pretty. You can have it outside and let mother nature be a part of the decor. The dollar store has all sorts of candle holders and candles as well as glass beads to fill flower vases. Mirrored place mats or chargers are another good thing to pick up. Place the candles in holders and put on the charger, simple and elegant. If you have brides maids you can ask them what they have in their closet that are in fall colors. I have been to weddings where the wedding party wore what they had but they had all worn different fall colors, it was lovely. Having a budget makes it so much more fun and will help you see just how creative you are.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• VEGAS baby!
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010