If you have a medical marjuania license in a state that it's legal and you travel to a state where it isn't legal, what happens if you get caught?

Sorry there is no spell check on the questions!! LOL!

I don't smoke it nor do I want to I just thought about this and I'm just curious as to what the rules are.

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You are held to the laws of that particular state.

I have a card issued in the state of Oregon, and I can legally possess, use and grow.. now if I tried doing any of those things in let's say, Texas, and I were caught. I would be held under Texas laws, which are far stricter than they are here in Oregon, even for someone who does not have a medical card.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• it may depend on the state you get caught in. but you will probably get charged for posession.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• maybe go to jail lol
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You don't mess with Texas LOL
    Clarity_Faith

Answer by Clarity_Faith at 7:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• LOL.... I remember way back in the late 70's-early 80's when that slogal was very much in use.. LOL

My parents have lived in Texas for over 25yrs now.. That's why I thought of Texas. Their laws down there,are way different than ours up here in Oregon..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• So I guess those people can't visit family....seems wrong to me. If yo move to another state, that's something different.
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 7:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Cindy ~ Do you have a google toolbar under your address bar? Mine has a spell check button in it and you can use it when you ask questions here. It checks the the title line and the content! It's great :)

As for the OQ I would think you would have to follow the law of that state.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You follow the laws of the state you're in. Besides that, your license doesn't protect you from the federal government.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Federal law does not allow medical marijuana so any state can choose to enforce the federal law since federal law is above state law. Violating it can get you arrested and put through the system.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 7:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You will be penalized under that states laws.

I think its stupid, personally. Its freakin medicine. Wish the fed gov would get on the ball and recognize it DOES have medicinal use!!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010