Spin off Guns dont shoot people.

That is very true. However who wants to find out they accidently left their gun within a child reach or accidentally left their gun cabinet unlocked by a horrible tragedy taking place. I know this will not happen in my home because I wont own a gun.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• i just think guns are an accident waiting to happen, that's why i won't allow any in my home. i wouldn't let anyone have a gun in a home with my children even if they were trained or used guns in their profession. they just make me nervous and i would worry too much about it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i think if a child knows the responsibility of owning and handling it is less likely to happen.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Bad things happen.

Accidents can happen with guns, and there are bad guys out there who do bad things that can make you want a gun. There are plenty of stories out there to support both.

Either way, owning one, or not - you take a risk. It's just your choice which risk you want.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We have guns, in places our 2 year old can't reach obviously. But when our children are really old enough to understand my hubby wants to teach them about the guns, how they work and how to be safe around them. He said this is how he grew up and he feels learning about the guns helps. I am also looking for a gun safe that is small enough to be kept up high. And I have to admit I like having one nearby when my husband goes out of town and I am alone at night...
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 7:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• chances are if the parents are responsible himan beings then they will have their guns wherea child can't get to them. Now if we are talking about dead beat parents who leave their guns anywhere.... they probably shouldn't have kids in the first place.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Careless parents who DO NOT OWN GUNS are usually the culprits behind an accidental shooting, because they do not expose their children to the danger of operating one, and do not properly educate them. Hence forth, creating curious children who are in turn, dangerous.

A child who is raised with a gun in the home is not a danger. A child who KNOWS what a gun will do to a person, is not a danger. A child who has operated a hand gun, and KNOWS its power, is not a danger. I am living proof... I grew up in a home with a loaded hand gun, never locked in a cabinet or drawer. My parents had enough sense to educate us, to show us first hand why it was not a toy, and then to force us to operate it (safely, on the range). It gave us all an overwhelming respect for such tools, and got rid of any curiosity... It is careless NOT to teach a child such things, even when you do not own a gun.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree that guns don't shoot people. I am neither for or against guns however if you choose to own a gun you take the responsibility that accidents do happen so you must take precautions to prevent it.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 6:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• What if the gun is off the street? What if its a stolen gun? The poster from that post said her aunt doesnt own any guns, so where did the youth get his hands on a gun? Thats one vote for banning guns. I dont own a gun and I dont think I ever will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Guns don't shoot people. But people who drink too much and know not what they do, kill people with guns. My mother was shot when she was 11 or 12. She was holding her baby sister,23 months old. The baby died. Her father spent the rest of his life in prison.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Our guns are in a locked gun cabinet inside of a locked closet. They have not even been taken out in over two years. My son currently does not even know they are there. We will also not be taking them with us when we move. We are getting rid of them in 6 days.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 6:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010