can an insurance company do an inside inspection because they think I am running a day care?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. yesterday the insurance company stopped buy to take pictures of the house for a renewal. the guy walked around outside took the pictures and left well about 15 mins later they called and said it looks like we are running some kind of child care services and said that they will be doing a inspection inside the house to make sure that we aren't and that they won't tell us when they will do it it will be a surprise inspection. Is that legal? I guess they think that since we only have one child that he shouldn't have outside toys and a swing set and the front yard shouldn't be fenced in!

ceciliak

Asked by ceciliak at 7:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• I honestly do not know. I know they are allowed to take pictures of the house inside and out for insurance. Here is a bump for you!
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The only ppl that you HAVE to allow in your home are the police IF they have a search warrant. I'd call the office & throw a fit, the squeeky wheel gets greased. Holler about how you can afford play equipment for your kids & how dare they accuse you of providing a fun environment for your ONE child!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I believe they can because it is a serious liability if you were running an illegal daycare. If you're not, then I wouldn't worry about it. Do you have an abundance of toys or something? I had planned on running a daycare, was working on getting a license and thus bought an over-abundance of toys at tag sales. Chose not to do the daycare, have 1 son and enough toys for like 10 kids! LOL
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i think that they can and if you don't comply they can cancel your coverage. you could read your contract.... it will tell you specifically in there. if you're not, i wouldn't worry about it and let them inspect
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Just in response to what Nyx7 said, although I agree that it is an invasion of privacy, the insurance company does have the right to cancel her policy if they believe she is in violation. If she's not running a daycare, whats the harm? Just let them in and get it over with. Otherwise, she could have some serious problems getting coverage. They are the ones who have to shell out money when someone gets hurt on a property they cover, and like all insurance companies, they will do anything in their power to not have to pay.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• when they show up I will let them in I have nothing to hide but I have never heard of them coming inside for something like this and they said they will be checking everything including what I have in my cabinets closets ect. it is just strange they want to look at everything we own just because we have a fenced in yard and toys in it.
    ceciliak

Comment by ceciliak (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You can refuse but they can also drop your insurance for it. A home daycare has a whole other host of insurance liability issues to be considered and if they suspect it then I guess they could drop by, sure. Like I said, you don't HAVE to let them in, but then don't have to insure you either.

Sort of like if they came by for inspection and suspected you had seriously shoddy wiring or plumbing, they could investigate further.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• thanks everyone
    ceciliak

Comment by ceciliak (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i would call the carrier directly and speak with a supervisor. I don't know much abou tthe P&C side of insurance, but it doesn't sound right. Especially to say they are going to go thru all of your closets and cupboards.
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would look for a different insurance company.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2010