My son is 16 months old and i have been feeling sad is he too old for it to be postpartum depression?

In recent months i have been feeling sad and alone. It is not all the time and it will just hit me out of the blue when im not even thinking about it. I usually cry myself to sleep about 4 nights week and i have no idea what is wrong with me. I have had an eventful last year and half though. I also have this horribel guilt about leaving my son. I have finally gotten over leaving him for work but if i leave him any other time i feel like i have trully done something wrong and will be literally sick to my stomache! Help me anyone!

Thoward630

Asked by Thoward630 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Health

• maybe you should talk to a doctor about it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Have you had a checkup lately and told your Dr about these feelings? I am not advocating for antidepressants. Sometimes there can be other things going on though. Take care of yourself and pat yourself on the back for working hard and taking care of your family. Try to keep your guilt in perspective. If he is happy and thriving you are doing a great job! I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I had check up a couple months ago and i think iwas in denial at the time so i didnt talk to my dr. I have tried very very hard to deal wit hthe guilt i know he is fine and loves spending time with our family but i cant get the feeling go away. Like the other day i had to go to walmart after work instead of running to get him and i got home a little over an hour late and i literally felt so bad i threw up. The guilt i have is as bad a i think it would be if i did something horrible! I just dont know if this is a postpartum thing or if he is too old for it to be that. Im not sure which dr to call.
    Thoward630

Comment by Thoward630 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thank you both for the concern!
    Thoward630

• I just read that it is most common right after birth but can happen up to a year later. Whether it is or not be good to yourself and run it by your Dr. Or maybe get a couple of books on it at the library? Maybe there are some good ideas that could help.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It could be PPD or it could be just plain old depression. Please talk to your doctor about it and be completely honest about how you're feeling. He/she can't read your mind so you have to tell them exactly what's up and how you're feeling.

You and your family deserve the best. Please do whatever you can to be the best version of you that you can be.

I've had a battle with depression in the past so if you would like someone to talk to please feel free to send me a message.

*hugs*
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 9:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010