fruit flys

they are driving me crazy how do i get rid of them

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have heard to put vinegar in a small mouth jar and they get in and can't get out.

Answer by Bmat at 7:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yes, bmat, that's right. apple cider vinegar *(like an inch or 2) in the bottom of a narrow neck jar or vase. works great!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Well, these are great ideas.
    I only know the less thrifty version:) At bimart there are "fruit fly traps and mixture". they actually are very pretty and just hang from a cabinet or something. They got rid of ALL of mine w/in one day. Good luck!
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 7:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• omgosh, i totally forgot about the vinegar in a jar trick! we have fruit flies too. :P my daughter has just been catching as many as she can and feeding them to her betta splendens. bettas love fruit flies. :)
    katvixenstar

Answer by katvixenstar at 10:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We had this problem and I tried the vinegar thing. It caught some, but wasn't doing it fast enough for me, since I had this brand new baby that I envisioned being covered with them. I bought some of those fly strips (like double sided tape) and hung them in the areas where I kept seeing them. They were gone in 1 1/2 days. Incidentally, I think the flies came in on some flowers that were delivered. YUCK! Good luck.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• A saucer of citrus sented dish liquid set out will draw and trap them too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2010