Am I too picky, because I require my nephews ages 4-12 to put away the loaded air soft pistols when my kids come to play?

Is this asking too much or do I continue to not allow them to go out there and visit? They're allowed to just run around with loaded "weapons" shooting at one another and anything. When they're done for the moment, they just throw them on the ground. Where, while stopping by, my 1 year old proceeded to almost get ahold of one. Good thing I was watching.

So why am I treated like the crazy one? Am I really overly worried? I think they're the crazy ones.

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 7:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• no, i agree with you. airsoft or pretend, they should be treated with respect, like any gun should.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• no, i think that they should too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don;t see what is wrong with a TOY gun? What are you afraid is going to happen...that they'll get hit with a sponge ball?! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• While I agree with you that they should not be running around shooting air rifles at each other, I understand why they act like your nuts. It's not your home. It's theirs and they are offended that you are trying to make the rules for their home. Again, I agree that this is wrong, but they obviously do not think so. I would talk to them about it and ask them to put them away while you are there. If they don't, just don't go visit until your child is old enough to understand not to touch that stuff.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You are not too picky. I agree with you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Toy guns are fun. We have nerf wars all the time w/our boys:)! these are the actual air soft pistols that teens and grown ups by. My nephew even thought it was cool that he had the new CR2 (did I say that right?) that makes the gun MORE powerful..... FANTASTIC:P
    thelowlander

Comment by thelowlander (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would ask the parents to please have the kids make sure to pick up the disks (or whatever it shoots). If you do not want your children exposed to toy "weapons," then that is your right as a parent. You have a right to protect your 1 year old from getting them and choking. Every parent is different and has different rules. I would just say to their parents: "Would you mind having your kids put away the toy "weapons" when my kids come over to play? I have decided that I am not ready(or I don't think they are old enough) for my children to be exposed to that kind of play." I'm sure they will understand. If not, then invite to kids over to your house instead.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• well since it's not your house, I don't agree with you dictating what they can play with and such.

Maybe if you want the kids to play together, have them over to your house so you have a right to tell them what they can and can't do.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• lol i think most people didn't understand what type of gun it was
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Oh sorry you guys. It's basically a full on bbgun. Just HARD plastic instead of metal. Basically hurts the same amount. Can go in the skin. But usually leaves huge welts that last for weeks. (Been shot before:) Not to mention what it can to eyes, ears, etc..

I agree not to boss them in their household. That is why we don't visit long or leave kids unattended. When I respectfully asked about it, I was told that maybe my children should learn gun safety. the big boys do, but I'll make sure to notify my 1 year old;) haha
    thelowlander

Comment by thelowlander (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010