Neighborhood kids staying the night

This little girl from our cul-de-sac is staying the night at our house. We heard the ice cream truck but I didn't buy my kids one. She went outside and her mom bought her this huge ice cream-popsicle thing. I asked her if she would take it back home and save it for tomorrow. Then I sent her mom a text and said "Hey. I sent --- home with her ice cream to save it for tomorrow. I didn't buy my kids one - lol and if she's staying the night over here, I don't want her to have that much sugar before bed. I hope that's okay." And she sent me one back and said that she was sorry, blah blah and that her daughter is going to eat it at home real quick. Well, I understand that and that's fine. Except it was HUGE and that little girl is 4 or something and I'm going to have to watch her all night. I put my kids to bed at 8-9pm and it's 6:30 right now. That kid is going to be hyper. Do you think I was rude?

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• That Mom sounds like an air head. My DS would be bouncing off the walls if he ate a big ice cream before bed. If she can't sleep, call her Mother to pick her up. If she doesn't come ASAP, call again. Don't bring her back yourself. Let that Mom go out of her way. Maybe she'll learn a lesson. Blow her off next time. I wouldn't bother with her at all. She should have sent something over for all the kids to snack on (non-sugary).
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• no, you weren't rude. but if it makes you feel better eating sugar doesn't make a difference in my kids' bedtime behavior. i think sugar affects some kids more than others.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Nope you weren't rude. If the kid drives you nuts send her home.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 7:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Oh sorry- I thought you said, "Do you think she was rude." No I don't think you were being rude. You sounded very diplomatic and I hope that other woman take a hint.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• lol well you are braver than me bc i wouldn't have a child that doesn't listen spending the night at my house. but anyway, like i said sugar is different for different kids. my 2yo just ate quite a bit of cotton candy for dessert and he went to bed fine. if she is acting up send her home (and don't invite her back!)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If the kid doesnt go to bed by the time your kids are asleep/ getting into bed.. Id walk her home...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You were within your rights on this! Man,it's time to send the lo home! IDK,I don't have sleep overs much for my dd. I usually expect that they'll stay up all night long and drive me and dh completely crazy. Thats the usual routine. If I agree to it then I expect it. I think 4 is very young to be getting into sleep over mode though.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 7:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I mean, she's eaten dinner over here two nights in a row - plus snacks. If she's going to leave her kid over here, she should at least respect my opinion about it.
    Blubuni99

Comment by Blubuni99 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yeah that does sound rude!
    When my son (2) has friends I try not to give him anything unless we have one for his friend to play (eat) with as well. Kids- especially younger ones don't understand when one kid gets a treat, or a toy and the other one doesn't.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• princessbeth - it wasn't a normal-sized popsicle. This sucker was HUGE. I was surprised when she brought it in here. I thought "wow. out of the ice cream truck, that must have cost $4!" It was huge. Plus she is a tiny little thing. She's, like, 4 or 5 and my 3 year old is almost taller than her. Not to mention, she doesn't hardly listen anyway - like she needs more sugar to make her that much more unruly.
    Blubuni99

Comment by Blubuni99 (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010