help?

I have a three year old boy who has a speech delay. The prediatrician also supsects autism. We will be going to see a specialist in a few months. I know how important it is to keep him engaged, I just am running out of ideas. He will sometimes start to pace, jump on the furniture, and make sounds. He will even do this when his four year old sister and I are playing a game with him. I redirect him and encourage him with lots of praise. I would like to have him involved with activities that will minimize the repetitive behaviors. Any suggestions? Thank you!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• one thing to help w/ eye contact, put a shiny sticker between your eyes, this will draw his attention to your eyes. when he's looking @ your eyes overexpress things.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• oh wow... I would of never thought of that .. thanks. :-)
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• What about rewarding him with special treats like cookies, small snacks that he likes to eat to help try to get him focused on what you have to tell him or teach him.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• a few months? you might try a get a home program going before that. this might be a big part of your life so start reading and start meeting people with kids on the spectrum. I just finished "Strange Son" and have you seen the HBO documentary "A mother's journey"

I like sitting on the floor across from my son, legs apart and touching making an enclosed space. I roll the ball to him, and i want him to roll it back. fun exchange you can had sounds to as you roll off the ball.."boo" and see if the child will say the same sound to. You can add claps, peek a boo then roll the ball...getting the child to imitate is the idea.

Is your child an auditory kid or a visual kid? Autistic kids might act like they are not hearing you or understanding you...but most the time they can. Read to them~they are listening and like it if they are not leaving the room~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son learns better if he's moving. He especially loves swinging. I will swing him a bit and then stop him. While he's stopped I will tell him to say or sign "more" if he does I swing him some more. And if not I will take his hands and make him sign "more" and make a big deal out of it and swing him some more. That's one of the many things we do. Send me a message if you need some more ideas! =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The stimming you are describing is common in autistic children. In the absence of expressive speech, they will physically move about to express their emotions--whether they are happy, sad, excited or frustrated. You really shouldn't try to stop the stimming, as they will become preoccupied with it, and tune out other things. It's important to engage him and redirect him with new and different activities that will both engage him in short bursts and allow him to run around.

In the summertime my boys when they were younger (both autistic) LOVE blowing and chasing bubbles, and running under the sprinklers or slip and slide. They also loved finger painting (great for sensory issues), and swimming. I found that if they were allowed so running around time, that I could get them to focus on stationary tasks and activities.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• for some kids, it is too intense to look directly into someone's eyes~might take away from what you might be working on...I work with my son shoulder to shoulder and sitting on is right side (HALO). I use a the rapid prompt method with tearing paper~my kid can't resist and I get to see how he is learning with moving quickly, asking for him to point to two choice answer. Working on spelling now~

but i don't expect eye contact~many channels into an autistic brain~they don't have to be acting like they are learning to learn...and the self stim' behavior might be calming and help him sort and get back to a more normal state.

Stopping stimming isn't the goal~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thank you all for the advice and ideas. We are taking him this week to Early Intervention to have his testing updated. He is about to transition from the Early Intervention program to the school system. I am a little nervous about the testing. We also have an appt. with a specialist in October.
    He spend time making a lot of noises like "EEEEE" , but he does give me hugs. I just don't know how to reach him. I wish I did know other people that have autistic children in my area, but I don't. Our family doesn't seem to get it, because they don't see him stimming. They become upset with us recently because we couldn't make it to a family function because our son was emotionally upset. He started crying for no reason, and when he finally stopped; we didn't feel comfortable taking him. I wish that family would help more. I just worry about him going to preschool this fall and everything.
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Have you ruled out food sensitivities? THese can manifest as learning disabilities. See an alergist for a food panel rast test for IgG antibodies. This test saved my son.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• motherofhope98 - oh wow.. He does have a hard time digesting milk that I switched to lactose-free milk. That is worth looking in to...thanks
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010