How would you respond if someone gave you a book to read because they thought your son was gay? adult content

A chuch goer at the place i attend MOPS at, decided that my son was probably gay. Because he does not feel the need to constantly prove his masculinity and beat up everyone like her grandsons. She proceeded to give me a Christian book on preventing homosexuality in boys...
So....how would you respond? Just curious if it's anything like I did...

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 7:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I would have asked her to come take a walk with me and we would have gone straight to whomever is in charge and I would show him (or her) what the 'churchgoer' gave me, give it to the leader and tell them "I think you should tell your sheep she needs to learn how God would handle conclusions based on no evidence before she tries to 'show' someone else the way. And it would be to the benefit of the both of you that she not ever present her best intentions in this way ever again.' Then i would thank the leader and walk away.
    warmcoffee

Answer by warmcoffee at 11:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I simply would not accept the book.

I would have calmly explained that sexuality is not a choice, and that she should be more concerned with her ill mannered family than my well mannered son.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'd tell her to mind her own f&%^#*(g business, for starters. If you did find out your son was gay and it was a book she was giving you to try to help you understand/talk to him/come to terms/whatever, that's one thing. If she said "hey, I think your son is a homo, here's a book to set him on the right path" that's an entirely different thing. I'd smack her across the head with it. What did you do? My curiousity is piqued...
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Find a book on being judgemental, one on curses, and one on butting in and "lovingly" give it to her as well.
    squish

Answer by squish at 7:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would tell her that my son's sexuality, gay or not, is absolutely none of her damn business.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Throw the book in the garbage and at the next MOPS meeting have my son bring a bright pink barbie purse to carry his toy cars in.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'd take the book and probably throw it away. her opionion wouldnt matter to me and I wouldnt have to prove to her that he's not, which if he was I'd love him just the same. <3 GL some people just have to mind their own
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Ok, wow...I would definitively have let her know that it was not appreciated. Sorry, but I would have HAD to let her know at least that much!

If I was really in a mood that day I would have told the old biddy to mind her business.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Honestly, my first reaction woudl have been to laugh. Then I would say thanks but no thanks and hand the book back and go on my way...probably still laughing. haha.
    Some people..I swear...
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Wow, this is a tough one.
    I'd take the book, thumb through it quick and proceed to have a giant belly laugh if it caught me in the right way. I'd proceed to tell her (if it was me) that I agree with gay rights and gay marriage and that there is nothing wrong with my child if my child grows up and is gay. I'd tell her that her advice giving unrequested has been duly noted. Thank her for the book and then launch into a "well sence we are share unrequested advice, I'd inform her of the dangers of rasing bullies" She just might want to pass that info on to their mother.
    I'd read the book, laugh hard, get pissed, write a few blog entries about the book, do a review and if I was still pissed, I'd burn the damn thing. No way I'd give such garbage out to other people.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010