how do you deal with DH being gone?

DH was promoted and they gave us barely a week before having to move out of state. DH has to spend Fri-Tue in a hotel. We have not spent a night apart since I had to be supervised from blood loss 2 years ago. I have 2 kids who rely on him coming home to complete their bedtime routine. How do you deal with a preschooler, a crawler, packing, and general life when he's gone, along with your only transportation?

eirejade

Asked by eirejade at 7:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• my husbands in the Army and are currently going threw deployment number 2. i take things one day at a time one thing at a time. i handle each situation that is at hand. we do the normal things we used to do. everynight before bed we look at a picture of daddy and tell him how much we miss and love him *to the picture* if i was moving id either pack when there sleeping or id put them in there rooms or in a room together turn on a move and put up a baby gate. *im thinking about switching to a bigger house right now* as for my only transpertation i dont know i always have the car. but if you have famiy around maybe that or a freind>? i guess if worse comes to wrose you might have to call a cab. not to sure about the car thing. but i can feel ya on the hubs being gone part.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 7:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• That's really rough. Is the promotion permanent? Does he only work at the new place or is he at both places? I would suggest moving, but I don't know all the info. If moving is not an option, then I would look into getting another vehicle. Do you have family near by? As for the children, I would just explain to them how much daddy loves them and how he wishes he could tuck them in every night, but mommy will have to take over on the nights he is away. I would explain how what daddy does is important and that he needs to do it for us, even though he may not want to.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You just step up and do what needs doing. And sometimes it's hard, but you do it anyway.
    My husband is really gone, he was killed by a drunk driver.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Isn't the company paying for packing and moving?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• sandra: unfortunately family is out of the question except Sunday right now (my mom). I could do a cab or public transport, but I would have no hands to bring groceries in lol!
    eirejade

Comment by eirejade (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• JG: the promotion is permanent, but it was immediate. That's why I'm packing :) We are moving, we just don't know where yet (though we have narrowed it down to 2 places). My nearby family went on vacation right after we were told he was getting the promotion. I do have family farther away, but onlyi available Sundays for now. DH plans on calling us every night, once before DD goes to bed and again before we go to bed. DD doesn't want him to go, but she knows we're following soon after (and even quicker if she helps pack and behaves enough I can do stuff). DS is only 8 months...he's been relying on cuddling with DH to fall asleep for the last few weeks...don't know how he's going to take it.
    eirejade

• alice: I'm so sorry for your loss...I couldn't even imagine that...
    eirejade

• rk: they pay for the uhaul and 30 days of storage, and will reimburse hotel costs, but we have to pack (DH is "only" a store manager--if he was a district manager or above, they pay for the packing, too). He was given money to move (taxed of course), but that doesn't even cover all that's needed for a new apartment.
    eirejade

Comment by eirejade (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2010