Slightly frustrated, but I don't know what to do...

So my husband and I have been planning on taking the birthing course at our hospital as well as an infant car course and we weren't able to enroll last month due to money constraints, and my husband went to enroll us today and he told me that all the classes were full until mid October which is only a couple weeks from my due date and it's a 4 week class. This was disappointing because I would really like to feel more prepared. Then I suggested that we take the fast version which is one Saturday and he told me they were all full too and even if they weren't he thinks it's a waste of a Saturday. I wasn't trying to go behind his back, but I went to the hospitals website to see if they offer any other sort of classes that might not be full and I found out that the Saturday classes aren't full and even a couple 4 week classes are open in mid-September. I don't want to call my husband a liar, but I feel like I've been lied to. Cont

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• I did not take a birthing class my first baby and did fine- I did however take a baby class at BabiesRUs which was 1-2 hours (one day), and I took a tour of the hospital. I asked lots of questions.
    Instead of a birthing class, why not spend the same money or less on 1 or 2 great books about it? Do it yourself class! lol
    As far as the car seat, you can research about how to install one online if you don't have the manual/directions.
    Hope this helps.
    Littlejem

Answer by Littlejem at 1:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would just ahead and book it for September and then tell him in a very happy way what luck you had in finding that there were still a few open spots available. I'm sure he will be thrilled, and glad that you went to the extent to find out about it. Maybe when he went to the hospital he was just misinformed.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I mean why would he tell me they didn't have any open classes if they do? I love my husband and I try to avoid conflict with him and so part of me says to ignore it he must have his reasons, but I'm just slightly frustrated. Should I tell him I checked on what he was saying and make him think that I doubt what he was saying?
    MamaSarah1104

Comment by MamaSarah1104 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• na, wait a couple days and tell him you checked to see if there was any openeings because of someone droping out. and you found some 4 week ones that you guys can attend..lol .thats what i would do
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 7:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Just ask him. Or maybe say, "Hey I was looking on their website and it looks like some classes have opened up."
    I'm sure he's got a reason for not wanting to go. Maybe he doesn't want to see a birthing video. Maybe he's scared? Maybe he's just really busy right now.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Im with Kim, you know nothing. Just really, really wanted to attend this class and you looked it up to see if anyone had CANCELLED and low and behold there where some spots open, Thats what I would do.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Just call the hospital and sign up for the Sept. ones. Tell him Oh lucky us some spots just opened up. Men don't think that babies are real until they see them in person.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• May be he's too tense you do the job then let him know.
    A11

Answer by A11 at 2:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It's likely that your husband doesn't really want to sit on the floor and listen to some cow yarn on about the cervix and then watch several highly disturbing videos of heads coming through what he used to consider a playground before listening to long, convoluted discussions of cracked nipples and the various types of vaginal discharge. And can you really blame him? It's not going to be even remotely fun. So he lied. I'm not saying he made the right call, because the information is necessary, but you need to try and look at the situation from his perspective WHILE you go on ahead and sign you guys up, so you can understand why he's rolling his eyes and sighing heavily all through the course.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:23 AM on Aug. 4, 2010