god's punishment or satan's revenge?

people in the old testament believed when something bad happened it was God punishing them. but now when something bad happens it's satan attaching them.

Where did the leap come from? if it was god's punishment them then wouldn't it still be now? if today it's satan then wouldn't it be back then too?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 7:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The changed happened with Christianity. Jews don't believe in Satan as an independent agent that brings evil to the world, so there's no mention of the Christian version of Satan anywhere in the OT.
    However, Judaism doesn't believe that our suffering is G-d's "punishment". That idea is also a more Christianized view. In Judaism, when something bad happens to us it's not a punishment. It can be a test, it can be a "tikkun" (a correction of the soul in order to grow spiritually) or it can be a wake up call. It can also be that that precise situation is what we need to grow spiritually and get closer to G-d. Like going to the dentist, it's painful, it's scary and it's uncomfortable, but ultimately sometimes it's needed.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• There is a difference between judgment and discipline. He disciplines those He loves and judges those who come against His Holy name. Evil is never God's plan. God's plan is to overcome evil with good.

next post will have an excerpt and the url where it came from.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Here is an excerpt from a man of God that I respect. The goal of all who serve Him should be to be in harmony with His ways and His acts. Mercy does triumph over judgment, but there is a time when His judgments are His mercy. Many kinds of judgment are in Scripture, and only one is condemnation, and only one is destruction. The rest are the discipline of the Lord upon those He loves. As we are told in Hebrews 12, the scariest thing of all should be to not experience His discipline, which would only mean that we are not His. The fact that America is now experiencing the judgment of God is actually evidence that He has not given up on us yet. "
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I guess it depends on whether or not you see Him as a vengeful god,or a loving one.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• good question!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would think so.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Interesting question, I have never really thought about it.
    I don't believe in either scenario, I believe that in life things come together and things fall apart no one makes it happen, it just does.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

•  

Here is the url where the previous excerpt came from: Website

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think we are the epitome of arrogance to believe that any beings as powerful as either god or satan would give a tinker's dam about us.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't think god punishes any one. I believe he is loving. I also don't think Satan does. He is a wuss and has no power, unless you give it to him. I think things just happen no supernatural reasons they just do.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010