so what exactly is baby blues? are they bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Post Partum Depression, I believe. It's not bad per se, but for some people, it can be pretty extreme. If you are referring to youself, talk to your doctor about how you are really feeling. I had it, but really didn't realize it at the time. When I think back, I wish I had talked to a Dr. sooner and gotten the meds that helped. Although, if you or whoever is breast-feeding, I would be careful with getting meds. Probably start with therapy, if that is the case. Also, try to get out, see people, join a moms club, go shopping, take walks.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• from an online source........After having a baby, many women have mood swings. One minute they feel happy, the next minute they start to cry. They may feel a little depressed, have a hard time concentrating, lose their appetite or find that they can't sleep well even when the baby is asleep. These symptoms usually start about 3 to 4 days after delivery and may last several days.

If you're a new mother and have any of these symptoms, you have what are called the baby blues. The baby blues are considered a normal part of early motherhood and usually go away within 10 days after delivery. However, some women have more severe symptoms or symptoms that last longer than a few days. This is called postpartum depression.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• it's depression after you have a baby. it can range from feeling sad to wanting to kill yourself and/or your child. it's fairly common and nothing to be ashamed of. having someone to talk to about it helps most women a lot.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Depression. Just regular baby blues isn't that bad; mostly crying for no reason, feeling a little overwhelmed or lonely or something of that nature, but no harmful thoughts. If you have thoughts of harming yourself or your baby, it's no longer "baby blues", but post-partum depression. Baby blues generally go away on their own once your hormones regulate; post-partum depression can require medication and/or counseling.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I had a bit of the baby blues after my daughter was born, nothing severe. Probably about 5-7 days of crying randomly for no reason. It started the day I came home from the hospital, but ended pretty quickly. My OB told me that if it continued for more than 2 weeks, to seek counseling. There are also anti-depressants you can take that are safe while nursing, if you need them.

Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Depression after having a baby. If it's really bad, you should talk to your OB.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010