my daughter is 6 days old and she keeps sneezing and every once in a while she starts to like cough/gag like she is going to throw up but nothing comes up

It is already too late to call the doctor right now but im wonder has anyone else had this or know what it might be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should still be able to call your Dr....they usually have an answering system and they give the Dr on call a call to tell them you need them. Try it.

Was she a c-section baby.....just a stab in the dark. Wondering if it could still be fluid in her lungs? Surely not...just the first thing that popped into my mind.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• completely normal. Try to eliminate any air fresheners, or strong smelling beauty products that you use.

Remember that she has only been breathing for 6 days, and her respiratory system is VERY sensitive. EVERYTHING triggers a sneezing fit. As for the coughing, it is a natural response when something upsets our lungs- like fragrances, dust, etc. It clears her lungs out, removes excess fluid, etc.

Unless she was running a fever, there is NO reason to worry.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My ds did this at the hospital after he was born and it turned out to be reflux.
    Get your baby into the pediatrician right away! Hope you can sooth your lo through the night,poor baby:(
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 8:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The sneezing sounds pretty normal to me, but you should ask your pedi about the reflux. My dtr made noises when she was drinking, and it was reflux. It can be serious, so you should get it checked out.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 8:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Both my kids did this and they both had reflux and allergies. Is she breast feed? If not you might need to try a different formula. If she is anything like my son she might need to be put on medicene for reflux for awhile. I would call your doctors office first thing tomorrow around 8 when they open and ask
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If your baby isn't breastfed I encourage you to do something tonight. You don't want a newborn gaging on formula and getting pneumonia. Human milk is a normal body fluid and doesn't cause that worry.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The sneezing is normal, but like everyone else said, I would call about the coughing gagging tomorrow.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2010