Summer kid mommas... Did you hold your kid from starting Kindergarden until they were 6?

Our son turned 5 late June and we are thinking of not sending him to Kindergarden until next year. I realize each child is different, just wondering others experiences.

emdred

Asked by emdred at 7:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a degree in Early Childhood Education...and YES I did this. So glad I did. My son turned 6 late July and my dd will not turn 5 until August 18th.

There are so many benefits to this! It gives them an advantage :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I considered it but he turned 5 in January. He is going! My older boys: One turned 5 at the end of May, One turned 5 at the beginning of August and I sent them both. My children we academically ready, socially no so but kids are more adaptable than you may think. The oldest one is a Senior now and the other one is a Junior! They did just fine!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I wish I held my son back a year. He was not ready and now he has to repeat kindergarten. He seems like he is ready now and I think we are going to have a good year this year. You know your son better than anybody else. If you don't think he is ready then wait another year.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We should have held our youngest back. I wanted to, teacher agreed, but DH would not hear of it. He now agrees we should have, but he was held back when he was little and was teased a lot about it. I think kids are more accepting today and parents are more in tune to help. Anyway, our son did go to college and is happy and productive today, but he should have been held back. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• What I would suggest is a year of private kindergarten. Like at a local preschool or church facility. Just to get him ready for the upcoming full Kindergarten year!

That is what we did for both of our kids :) You very rarely meet a parent who is upset that they held a child back a year, but you meet them ALL the time, that wish they would have!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes, I sent my 5 year old to a half-day program that was kind of like a cross between kindergarten and preschool. She's very bright, but her emotional maturity and confidence were not quite what we thought would best serve her to go into the public school kindergarten. After the year was complete, we chose to enroll her in kindergarten instead of 1st grade and she had a wonderfully successful year. I don't regret the choice we made at all.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son turned 5 at the end of June and is starting kindergarten this year. The thought has crossed my mind a few times. He's definitely smart enough to be starting school, he's actually reading a little, but his maturity level isn't quite there yet. My daughter was WAY more mature and I didn't have any anxiety about sending her to kindergarten, but I have moments of apprehension with my son. My husband and I have decided he's going and we'll just have to see how it goes. Everyone keeps telling me that boys just don't mature like girls do and it's normal and he'll be fine.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No, my oldest went in when she was 5.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My DD went to pre-school at 3! She went 3 yrs at pre-school because of some social issues. Then K at 5.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I will not hold my child back. Too many parents do it and it's just ridiculous. The curriculum and classroom are designed for 5 years olds. Unless your kid has special needs they will do just fine. Holding some kids back leaves other kids at a disadvantage size wise. I've seen 7 year old kindergarteners and that's just insane. The curriculum and workload is already far below many other countries (we had spelling tests a few weeks in to my first year and there were several 4 year olds in the class) so it's not like a 5 year old shouldn't be able to keep up.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010