• In the Spotlight:

What's your best way to deflect sibling rivalry?

You know, when the bickering starts, the tempers start to flare....

What's your go to method?

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 7:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• From the start of my marriage, DH and I have been telling the boys (my two bonus sons and our two) that when the parents are dead and gone, their brothers are all they will have left. Learn to get along and take care of each other. On top of that, sometimes kids will just argue to hear themselves argue. It's part of growing up and learning how to work things out. As long as there is no blood, guts, eyeballs or broken bones, I'm usually good with it. If it takes more than 10 minutes to work out, or hitting/pushing becomes part of the problem, then I get involved.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We usually buy them the same of everything--so they don't fight over what they don;t have! But when it comes to sharing toys we sometimes use a kitchen timer, set for 30 minutes. When the bell goes off, they have to let the other one play with the coveted toy. When it's a multi player game/activity, just a lot of reinforcement over whose turn it is, and sharing equally.

If none of those methods work, then the toy is taken away or the activity ends, and not returned/resumed until everyone can share and get along. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• When I babysat a 5 and 7 year old I would just tell them I didn't want to hear it. And they would usually work it out themselves.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 8:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• they hold hands until they can hug and say im sorry!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010