What is there for me to do now?

I am a former seamstress who loved to sew clothing and accessories.
I also used to love to quilt.

Some other pleasures were making creations out of needlepoint, cross stitch, and crocheting delicate doilies from string.

I also loved to do calligraphy and stenciling with paint.

But what can I do now? I have a problem...my eyesight is nearly nil...I have given away all my supplies and machines. I have chronic lower back pain that restricts my ability to be in one position for very long. And I am developing arthritis in my finger joints. I'm a vibrant woman trapped in an old and worn-out body.

Other than toddler type or elementary school type crafts, what is there for me to do now?
I am open to all suggestions.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 8:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• you could do painting. that is something that you could do in whatever poistion you feel comfortable, and you don't have to have 20/20 vision to make beautiful paintings :) i would just give it a try..... it's not that much money to buy a canvas and some paints. if you don't like it you could always try something else. my dad has limited vision and likes to do clay things, but idk if that would be good for you with the arthritis. gl.... i'm sure you'll find something to unleash those creative juices again!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• have you tried scrapbooking?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Scrapbooking, gardening, painting...
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'm going to try to think of some ideas, but until then, here's a bump. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Looming?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Mom, what are you doing on the computer? Just kidding.... My mom does all those things too. Wow, that's a tough question. This time of year she is gardening.... I'm truly at a loss.... All those crafts produce very personal things that give you great joy to make, to do something generic wouldn't be as rewarding. Making jewelry would be tough, eyesight wise. Scrapbooking, like Sabrena says might be the ticket! It is a sick hobby with fun shopping trips full of pretty paper and cool accessories! :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Sunshine, have you thought about teaching other people how to do the wonderful things you have such vast knowledge of?
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I did scrapbooking back in the day when it became the newest "hot" thing to do...lol...but I don't print out pictures anymore :(
    I have a niggling for photography, but I never know how a picture will come out until I download it onto my computer for editing. Sometimes, they are so blurry and out-of-focus that I have to delete it.

Painting is something I might look into. I'm not very artistic with arts, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

I can't garden, though. The humidity here in VA suffocates me so I can barely breathe.

Thanks for these great answers! I can't wait to see more!

WoodWitch - LOL...I'm able to move around with my laptop and take breaks from typing when my fingers bind up. The internet is one of the few pleasures I have right now. :) I would be asking someone else like me that very same question, though. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Comment by PrydferthMenyw (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010