only got 1 answer so i'll try again...PCV13 instead of PCV7 (Pneumococcal conjugate) shot?

I took my dd today to get her 2yr old shot, and the doc mentioned they have this new shot called the PCV13, that healthy kids that haven't yet turned 5, (kids with med conditions is 6yrs) and HAVE completed the 4-dose series with PCV7 (which is normally 2, 4, 6, and 12 month shots) should get 1 shot of the PCV13 shot. if they haven't finished the 4-dose series, then to finish with the PCV13 instead of the PCV7.

This is a NEW thing, just came out this spring. she wanted to give it to dd today, but i'm not comfortable with new shots until i do my homework. (like the H1N1, thankfully i didn't, cuz it got recalled) and both my kids finished the 4-dose with PCV7.

so i was wondering if any of you heard of this, has your child had this shot, do you know anything about it? any info on this would be great, also if you have links to info. thanks ladies, it's not only dd, but ds will be asked to have the shot to

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pneumo/vac-PCV13-hcp-faqs.htm
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• A bump for you.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• thanks :)
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Basically, the ONLY difference is there are MORE strains of the bacteria covered in the new vaccine. I just gave it to my dd at her 15 mo appt. Adjuvants and everything are the same.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010