What's with changing the Constitution about US citizens born here?

Did I miss-hear the news tonight? Did I hear that some conservatives are trying to propose a law that you are not automatically a US citizen if you are born here unless at least one of your parents is a legal citizen?

Did anyone else hear that? My understanding is that they can propose this law, but the 14th Amendnant would need to be amended! I understand that illegal persons are a drain on our system, I understand that being "illegal" itself is the problem. But a baby born here, may no longer be considered a US citizen? What do you think?

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There is always a danger in changing the constitution. The process involves opening up all kinds of discussion and ultimately it's like a bill being passed, only it cannot be overturned like a law. That means the same type of pork barreling and favor buying can happen, but instead of it then getting overturned by the SCOTUS it's there forever and used to determine other laws by the SCOTUS until it is re-amended (something that is rarer than adding new amendments in the first place).

The 14th amendment applies to more than just legal birth status. Ask yourself - do you trust the sitting congress to change the amendment in a way that is in YOUR best interests as opposed to their financial and political best interests? The amendment that give you the right to due process and forces the states to recognize the bill of rights. That's too much power for a group that has proven itself corrupt the past 20 years.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I do not believe this should be changed. Like NP said it's iffy to start fooling around with the constitution. I dont have ANY problem with the babies staying. But the parents who have CHOSEN to come here ILLEGALLY need to return and come back in the right way. They can leave the babies with family who are here legally or they can take them with them and bring them back. :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think it will never happen. Amending the Consitution isn't exactly taken lightly, nor is it easy to do.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I believe that is it wrong to 'use' a child. Children deserve to be loved and cherished and wanted for themselves. They should not be a pawn or a tool.

The 14th can be altered so that illegals stop endangering their unborn by trying to get into the US in time for the birth ~ or used as an excuse for the parent/s to remain here after the birth ~ without changing the rest of the amendment. If you want to live in the US, do it right, and don't use your child.

I feel the same way about mothers who 'use' their children as a way to pick through a man's wallet for support but refuse visitation or any other contact, particularly if the man is a good father/daddy. If you want a check, get a job instead of having a baby.

In any case, I would support this if it comes to a vote.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The law was done for the slaves so they can stay in the U.S. Do we still have slaves?

For safety reasons it should be changed. Women who are pregnant will try to get over here and some have died because of this law.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The article I read about this said it was in reference to illegal aliens. A lot of people sneak across the border to have a child here, the idea being that the child will be a citizen having been born here and that somehow gives the parents the right to remain here without obtaining citizenship...or something to that effect. The idea is that if the child will not automatically be a U.S. citizen....it takes that carrot away and might help to slow down illegal immigration.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The 14th can be altered so that illegals stop endangering their unborn by trying to get into the US in time for the birth ~ or used as an excuse for the parent/s to remain here after the birth ~ without changing the rest of the amendment.

It CAN be, the question is do you trust them to actually restrict their tinkering to that individual line?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Not every country is like that. Switzerland doesn't grant automatic citizenship and I think the reason for this movement is people coming here illegally just to give birth.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• being born in Cambodia makes you Cambidian

No, it doesn't. Most countries don't. You have to be born to a citizen. Some countries you have to be born to a married citizen. An out of wedlock birth to a citizen and non-citizen isn't automatic citizenship for the baby, but a married birth is. You can read the rules for most countries here.   Just scroll down through each country to the By Birth section.  What you'll see most often is does not automatically confer citizenship

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• This is very interesting. It's because of Ahmed Al Zwarhi ( i know thats spelled totally wrong). He can't be put on a terrorist hit list because am. citizens have the right to due process before being executed...

I have no opinion yet but lean towards citizenship by birth.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010