How do you deal with physical pain?

I have severe migraines, RA, and a number of other major illnesses. I try not to take too many hard drugs, but I HATE pain. How do you deal with pain?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 8:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Health

• Meditation actually helps many people. Learning how to relax totally. Tense muscles increase pain. My sister has Lupus and she has found hypnotherapy is working for her.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• well i don't like to take a lot of meds either. i just do and eventually your tolerance will increase
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My SD takes some kind of over the counter stress meds for her migraines and they help her. Wish I knew the name, but her mother keeps those things secret and of course SD doesn't remember the name. I don't have any major probs. When I get headaches, I take Tylenol or Ibuprofin. I hate pain and will do just about anything to get rid of it, if it's bad enough.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• DRUGS!! Seriously... it you are prescribed pain meds for those things then the medicine is not jsut killing the pain, but working on the problem causing the pain. You are doing your self a disservice but trying to deal with out the medications!! Seek out a pain management specialist, they can help you.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thanks, I do go to a special pool that has warmer then normal water to do water aerobics. I do take pain medication. I would LOVE to know how to relax. Would Yoga help relaxation?
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yoga is an excellent way to learn to relax.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Focus on it, breathe through it and picture a liquid running through you that you control, which counteracts pain. That is the power of positive thinking!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 12:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• seeing a chiropractor helps with headaches I've had brain surgery 13 times so I have plenty of experience with headaches!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:12 AM on Aug. 4, 2010