what supplies did you have to buy for your kindergartener?

i think some of the things we had to buy were wierd.
4 boxes of crayons, 4 notebooks, a folder, a pair of safety scissors, a pencil box, 20 pencils, 8 big glue sticks.... ok those are the things i think are reasonable, but we were also required to buy
a box of tissues, a bottle of handsoap, a ream of copy paper, 2 boxes of baby wipes, dry erase markers, ziplock bags and a couple of other things i though were wierd. i guess they want the parents to stock the classroom? we can afford to buy this crap (it cost $50 for the stuff they requested!), but i know alot of people can't be spending that kind of money on back to school stuff. is it like this everywhere? or just here (md)

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have no idea what I am suppose to buy for my son. On his school website they have the list for Pre-K, 2nd, 4th, and 5th grade but not for K, 1st, and 3rd. School starts next week and I have called his school and no one answers. I have called the school district and they don't know what to tell me. I guess I will find out the first day of school.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Tissues are for winter season. An entire classroom of kids with runny noses. Ziploc bags are in case of accident and they need to send home wet clothes usually. Occasionally for when they send home alot of the work they've done in class. Baby wipes are handy for removing markers off little hands. While i thought dry erase markers were weird also the kids use them not the teachers. The other items IDK about and I would definitely ask before buying.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• hmm, they're not having an orientation before school starts? they're having an orientation the week before so they can bring their supplies and meet the teachers, etc.
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• no, they were ziplock sandwich or snack size. they also were saying you had to buy the name brand for some things too. those are the things you're obligated to bring. there was another whole list of 'optional' stuff...... i am not buying anymore lol
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Four boxes of crayons? Are you kidding me? Four Notebooks... for kindergarteners? I believe you are stocking their lounge and three other kids at this rate.

I live in a large, about to be taken over by the State, horrible school system and we are required to supply: Supply Box, 1 box of 24 count crayons, a pair of scissors, 6 pencils, glue, 2 glue sticks, 2 black dry erase markers, a pink eraser. Also requested were a box of tissues, baby wipes, ziplock bags. I shopped for most of this in my craft room! LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• They normally do, but this year they have done away with orientation except for new registering students. The first day of school is only a half day so I figure that they will send home the info then or maybe I will get something in the mail between now and the first day.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We actually went thru this as well the funny thing is that at the end of the school year they sent most of it home...The teachers also have a "wish list" , but in their defense unfortunately alot of the funding has been cut and they have to pay out of pocket for this stuff..My niece in law is a teacher, what they pay this people is nothing...Its sad that grown men are paid more to put a ball in a hoop, than the people who are educationing the world...
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yeah they always say brand name stuff because it lasts longer. That does not mean however you are required to buy brand name. You buy what you can afford.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son needs to bring:
    4 large glue sticks, 2 pencils, one 24 box of crayons, one pocket folder, one box of tissues, a pair of Fiskars blunt scissors, and a "heavy duty nylon/canvas pencil case".

Not so bad! But the list did say that that was the list for all K students in our school and individual teachers could request more...so far, we haven't heard if his teacher wants more.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 11:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• At our school for kindergarten and first it's a flat rate of 35 dollers for class supplies and 8 for a class t-shirt for field trips. Have a great school year.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 2:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2010