I have a deaf cat.

This Russian Blue is really friendly towards me. He is MY cat. I can call him trying to get his attention and nothing. I brought him to the Vet and he confirmed that the cat is deaf. My vet wants me to keep him in the house for his own safety. He is also completely de-clawwed, so he has not defense ability. The neighbor behind me tossed him out because he had a flaw that prevented him from being a show cat. He has a small tuft of white fur on his chest. So I asked them if I could keep him, they signed over his papers to me. He will be a house cat which he seems to like. Have any of you had a deaf cat, or any other animal that was deaf?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 9:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I've had several cats that were/are deaf. Those who went deaf after birth act differently (or mind did) than those born deaf. My little Dopey went deaf after he learned to jump and climb well and after a period of adjustment he 'relearned' how to do both. I called him by tapping my foot or patting the floor. My Fiona was born deaf and has never learned to jump and 'clambers' more than climbs. I call her the same way.

In any case, a deaf cat should be an indoor only cat. They can feel vibrations and still smell, but they don't have an important sense to help keep them from danger. They still make great pets. They will love you unconditionally in spite of any 'flaws' that keep them out of the show ring.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yep. You have to be careful,they startle easily. Announce your arrival in a room by stomping lightly. Many can learn hand signals.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son's cat is deaf. White Manx with blue eyes. The kitty is playful and seems happy. He is an inside only cat. Shame on your neighbors for tossing out a defenseless animal. And good wishes being sent your way for be responsible and generous.

Answer by Bmat at 9:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We have a white boxer who is deaf.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 9:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Boo to your neighbor and hooray for you! Just give him lots of love and you will be rewarded daily!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Nope but my husband and teen agers are deaf to the sound of my voice.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You are so kind to take the kitty in (and your neighbor needs his head checked). We have had a few deaf animals in the past and they have all done fine. We just lightly tapped the floor when we were trying to call them.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 6:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010