question about my 5 week old

my lil angel is 5 weeks old and she still sleeps most of the day even when i try to entertain her, she eats 24-28 ounces of formula a day. she does sleep 6 hours a night. i was wondering if that is normal ? My son was completely different and that was 13 yrs ago.

please give me suggestions on how to keep her more alert during the day

pandpmommy

Asked by pandpmommy at 9:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's too little yet to be staying awake much ,period. Thank your lucky stars you get the 6 hrs of sleep at night!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Right now, let her sleep. She's doing a lot of growing and adjusting. You can start working on getting her days & nights straightened out by keeping the lights & noise low at night, but during the day, take her for walks, open the blinds, turn on the TV. Enjoy it now because soon, she'll wake up and won't want to go back to sleep. :)
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• she may just be a more relaxed baby.
    could be just a growth spurt too, they sleep more when going through one.
    nothing I'd make a special appointment for, but if you're still worried, bring it up at her 2 month check up
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• She's growing right now, and may very well just need more sleep.

My middle child slept almost ALL of the time until he was about 4 months old. Used to worry me, but it was normal for him. He still likes to take naps now, at 5 years old!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Don't try to keep her up if she is tired. She will get over-tired and have a hard time falling asleep.
    GiannisMomma

Answer by GiannisMomma at 9:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yeah, at 5 weeks, just let her sleep. They do most of their growing in their sleep. She'll be over that phase soon and then she'll be on a normal schedule eventually.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Enjoy it now, and let her sleep! lol! my little one is 14 months, and we have been fighting sleep issues forever! Finally one week tonight of her sleeping well at night!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My daughter slept often during the day at 5 weeks....I so miss it, haha. It's normal & it'll change.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• its normal,my 5 wk old sleeps 5 hrs a night.everu babys different.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 11:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• thank u everyone. fir ur words of advice.
    pandpmommy

Comment by pandpmommy (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2010