do you think our parenting style is different from our mothers?

Sometimes if I have to discipline one of my kids, I think back to what my mom would have done. Do you do that too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes and no! I need to know where they are, who they are with, what time will they be home...must do daily chores...respect and church. I was so strict with my children, their friends were afraid of me. This is my mother to a tee! My mother would never speak with us about sex. This I did differently. Anytime they asked a sex question, no matter the age, I told them. We also discussed drugs and watched the news everynight then discussed lying, stealing and drug use and all the trouble a person gets in when the law is broken. We also discussed bills and money. These are just a few things my mother felt children should never be exposed to.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yup...i mix and match with my kid...lil ole and a lil new...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I parent very much like my own parents did.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• no, i do time out instead of the wooden spoon or 'wait until your father gets home!' which meant beat with a belt. it's just as effective to give a timeout imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Very different, our parents didnt give us choices lol...
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i don't really remember much about how my parents raised me. i grew up in a home with a lot of fighting. i know as a whole i work very hard to do many things the opposite of what I remember growing up with. i refuse to fall into that mess.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i raise my kids the oppisite of the way i was raised.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 9:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• in some ways i'm the same in some i'm different. i think my husband is more like my parents than me.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Mine isn't. I parent mostly like my mother did. I teach my kids self-reliance and independence and how to survive in the real world. They have almost as many freedoms as I did as a kid (their boundaries just aren't as wide as mine were). I'm actually probably a little more strict. My mom never made me do chores or help around the house but I require my kids to clean up after themselves in every room and take care of any stuff that belongs to them which includes doing their own laundry. I'm not their maid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I parent way differently than my mom did... though my mom had major anger management issues and was emotionally and physically abusive when I was growing up. So calling my kids names, slapping them across the face, and locking them in their room for hours on end are not going to be on my list of parenting techniques! I know how that made me feel and how much it damaged my relationship with my mom (we get along okay now, but that was after a lot of family counseling in my late teens, coupled with the fact that at 18 I moved out and never went back!) And I don't want that for my kids.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010