Do you take your kids to the doctor for every itch and pain?

My 3 y old has a sore throat and possible ear infection (which in the past cleared up with no antibiotics both time he had it). And my one year old just started being grumpy and has a 99.5 temp so far. My tylenol was recalled and I had to go to the pharmacy and get something else. The stuff I have has a different dosage so I had to call the doctor's office after hours to find out the right dosage for my one year old, just in case her temp goes above 103 (otherwise she's not getting any). Now the doctor wants us to go there. Ugh. It's just a sore throat and ear infection.

icanbeabitch

Asked by icanbeabitch at 9:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• absolutely not, my son has been to the dr twice bc he was sick since he was born, he's almost four. i'm thankful that i can care for him at home most of the time. i think that antibiotics are over prescribed as are most drugs.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• no, i think they get more germs just from going into the dr. office. i try to take them to the dr. as little as possible.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Go!!!
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No, Julita rarely goes to the doctor.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• For THAT I would. You don't want to be messing with possible strep. i only do for temps over 103 for more than 48 hrs,or if he's dehydrated or having problems urinating.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No...we barely ever go...LOL He has been less than 10 times.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• for the sore throat, I would. Like a PP said, could be strep
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• nope, i sure don't. only because half the time whatever it is does clear up on its own
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 9:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• nah, only if i know it's something i can't deal with at home.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Nope.

Common sense tells me not to further compromise their health by putting them in one of the dirtiest, virus filled places on earth... If they TRULY need medical care, they get it. A sore throat, or elevated temp do not warrant a physicians care. That requires sunggles, hydration, and a good book.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010