Hungry baby!

So my baby is 5 weeks and her pediatrition said no more than 3-4 ounces every 3 hours. But she's often hungry again just an hour or so after eating. And she doesn't just want a little more, she wants another 3 ounces. I try to hold her off by using a passy but she just fusses and cries until she gets more. Should I go by what she wants or what her dr wants?

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 10:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The baby will tell you how much they want, not your doctor. If your baby wants more then your baby should get more. Unless there's a specific medical reason for a strict diet then there shouldn't be a restriction. My son ate 4oz's the day he was born. Then it rose from there as he got older. Yet my daughter only ate an house, then progressed to about three-four ounces by the time she was a few weeks old. It all depends on the child and their body. Give your baby four ounces or five ounces the first feeding and go from there. Your doctor should never have put a strict limit on the amount of food to give your baby. Your baby decides that, nobody else does.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• feed the kid!
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 10:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Every baby is different so I would go by what the baby wants, not the doctor. You're not feeding your doctor and if your child seems hungry than she obviously needs to eat.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 10:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• feed her if she is hungry.. doctors dont know everything, and every baby is different.
    MrsRudd

Answer by MrsRudd at 10:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Unless there was a medical reason for him to put such a strict limit on your baby's food (like severe reflux, grossly obese, or has some disease, etc), then I'd ignore it, feed my baby when she is hungry and then I'd get a new pediatrician. I know a lot of moms on here say at the drop of the hat that they'd get a new pediatrician, but in this case I really would. The 3-4 oz every 3 hour rule is very old school. That is what they taught moms when my generation were babies. Very few doctors that keep up to date with the latest research still agree with this thinking. Some babies eat 4 oz every 4 hours. Some it 4 oz every 2 hours. Each baby is different. You need to follow your baby's rhythms, feeding her when she's hungry and letting her sleep when she's tired.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Babies can NOT regulate their own intake from a bottle. Formula can be difficult to digest. Babies can and will overeat. the process of artificial feeding is very different from breastfeeding and must be managed. That's why doctors should tell you how much to feed a feeding and how much you should feed a day. A baby that only needs 4 oz may suck down 8 oz if you would let it. If you overfeed your baby you could end up with an overweight baby that has weight and health problems the rest of her life.

It must be difficult with an unhappy baby. It's not too late to breastfeed. Virtually all women can and the reasons most women think they can't breastfeed aren't actually real reasons.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Make a 5 ounce bottle and see what she does with it. See how much she drinks. And the next time, give her the same. Find out how much she will eat at one time. Sometimes, though, babies confuse gas and tummy aches as hunger because they don't know what to do. So, you need to figure out if she has a tummy issues or is in fact hungry. I wouldn't feed her every two hours though. I would stick to every three or four.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• ya know...I would offer more. some kids empty their stomach fast and can handle a little more (reflux is what i would worry about). she has to grow into her 3 month old body!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Sometimes they can act hungry but they have gas in their tummy.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Wow, a vote down. Everything I said was fact and true. I never said not to feed the baby. I said to start slow and see what the baby wants exactly. Not just shove a bottle of milk down it's throat. Some babies do act hungry when they have stomach issues. Just because she seems hungry does not mean she should give her an 8 ounce bottle everytime she murmurs a peep.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2010