How do you get the musty smell out of a front loader washing machine?

I don't see any mildew in it, but it smells awful. I ran a cycle with no clothes in it on hot with bleach, but that didn't help. I wiped all of the rubber seals down with white vinegar. That barely helped. What should I do?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 10:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• something is wet...I just had to change a hose and took off the front piece...I wonder if things are dry under there?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'd take a flash light and move it out so you can see in the back. See if anything on the inside has mold on it or is wet. Maybe backing soda might help some or letting it air out.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I leave mine open at night once a week and then run it with bleach. I called LG and they told me to leave it open....
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I cover mine in baking soda and leave the door open for a day or two. That seems to do the trick.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i leave it open,and run the washer with just pine sol water and bleach.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 11:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'd leach again then air dry
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Just keep the door open, as well as well ashe cvompartmenrt where you put the detergent and fabric softener. It's worked for us!

Cheryl
    Supe68

Answer by Supe68 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Biggest complaint about front loaders. You have to leave the door open when you are finished to let the thing dryout. Run a bleach white load, wipe the seals and leave the door open to dry. If it is mildew the bleach will kill it but it needs to DRY! This is the thing that keeps me from getting one of those!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I just bought one in April. I don't have this problem because they said to make sure when it was not in use to leave the door open and I do. They do sell a product...Walmart etc for this problem, but I cannot say if it actually works.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We bought a Samsung because when we read reviews, the Samsung didn't seem to have this mildew problem likd the other brands did, but now mine is smelling. Pine sol might be a really good idea. I'll give that a try. I notice the bottle says you can use it for laundry any way. I let the machine air out last night, but then closed it this morning and within an hour the smell was back.

Our laundry room is small and is in a pass through from the kitchen to the garage, so you have to shut the washer door to get in and out of the house. Grrr.
    ThrivingMom

Comment by ThrivingMom (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2010