Toddler wakes shaking every night

Almost every night after my 14 month old goes to bed she wakes about 30 mins to an hour later shaking and crying. She usually just sits there and cries until I get upstairs and then I pick her up and she goes back to sleep. Do you think this is related to her asthma? Or just night terrors or something? She doesn't cough or wheeze either.

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 16 month old does this alot...Since he was about 5months. I talked with his doctor and he said it is probably just his nervous system. Nothings wrong with him, some babies just get so relaxed and when they fall alseep then wake suddenly it startles them. I wouldnt worry to much unless she has alot of other symptoms. Hope this helps some. :)
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• That's really strange. I don't know what that could be. Have you mentioned it to her doctor??
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yeah i would talk to the dr to be sure. it sounds like night terrors, but she is too small to be having them. from what i heard it occurs in 3 yrs old and up. so please check with her dr.
    teddybear2272

Answer by teddybear2272 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• For all of human time human babies and toddleres have nursed and slept with their mothers, it's hard wired in their brains. When baby wakes and itsn't with it's mother the baby/toddler panics and crys out. Just because we in America have houses in cribs, toddlers brains haven't changed. It's normal for them to wake up until they are 3 or older and it they are alone they can be in a panic.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• your not a bad mom for forgetting .. I forget things all the time when I go to the doctor with DD.
    If it worries you a lot, I'd call the doctor and explain to them what's going on and let them decide if you should bring her in. That would scare me if my daughter woke up like that.
    Good Luck.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We just took her in and she was diagnosed with asthma and I was so focused on that I totally forgot to mention this ... bad mom moment!
    kaylan010

Comment by kaylan010 (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• call tomorrow am and follow up with the dr,,,your a great mom!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• it doesn't sound like asthma, perhaps nightterrors. Does she have a night light? Might help
    HeatherLynn

Answer by HeatherLynn at 11:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• what gailll said!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes, she has a night light ... I'll call tomorrow and ask the doctor .... thanks for your help!

Oh and thanks Gailll for answering this question the same way you answer all question in a belittling manner. We all know that you think babies should sleep with their mother's forever ....
    kaylan010

Comment by kaylan010 (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010